Reverb radio

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2009, 08:47 AM

Reverb radio

Is it possible to hook up a reverb unit to a radio that did not come with one?

Came across a unit that has the correct radio plug with the blue, yellow and red wire (red for reverb).
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by radioburningchrome
Is it possible to hook up a reverb unit to a radio that did not come with one?

Came across a unit that has the correct radio plug with the blue, yellow and red wire (red for reverb).
We used to have reverb units installed frequently back in the mid-60's. Most of the radios back then (for me at any rate, while in high school) where simple am - and reverb was a popular aftermarket product.. It sounded great and I would really like to find one today and add it to my 57 Olds. Good luck with yours.

Where did you find it?
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Oldsdruid

If it's a factory reverb unit with all wiring and plugs intact, it'll be pretty much a plug and play deal. They were dealer installed all the time back then.

An aftermarket may be a little more complex to figure out the correct wiring if you don't have a schematic.

On a factory unit you'll need to drill a hole in the dash for the switch, and it's in kinda an awkward location to drill on 63-64 cars. It goes on the metal "shelf" underneath the dash pad and above the clock or center a/c vent depending on what other accessory switches are there. They moved it to the bottom of the dash in 65, I think to make dealer installed units a little easier for the tech installing it as much as anything. I wouldn't grumble over putting the switch on the bottom on a 63-64 car.

But yeah, adding a reverb will work fine. All it does is "process" the rear speaker signal a bit, delaying it by milliseconds to get that "concert hall" echo effect.

Just be aware the things have a habit of "boinging" when you go over a hard bump.
Old October 24th, 2009, 03:50 PM
2 '66 98's

As far as I know, you can only use the reverb on original, mono type radios and not on one leg of a stereo set. The boinging is from the set of "springs" used to resist the current flow to create the delay. I have a radio and reverb setup for a '66 98 that has been gone over by a professional if anyone can use it. Both my original radios have been converted to modern stereo circuit boards.
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Wirth
Where did you find it?
My father and I pulled it from a 66 LS that someone stole and wrecked. That was 1990 and I am just putting the parts to use now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
66 98 ls 1.jpg (85.1 KB, 26 views)
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM

[quote=bigoldscruiser;118354] I have a radio and reverb setup for a '66 98 that has been gone over by a professional if anyone can use it. [quote]

I am interested in both. How much are you asking?
Old October 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM

reverb

hi, you said you had a pro go over your reverb , i have one in my 65 starfire ,did not know if i should bother to put in or if i would be wasting my time , did not know what the chances of it working would be ,radio is no good ,so was wondering was it some place like radio shack?or what ,thanks for any input ,will.
Old October 25th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Oldsdruid

Heh. Most Radio Shack employees wouldn't know what a reverb was if you showed them one. If it ain't digital, they don't know or want to know anything about it. I went in one a few years back wanting reel-to-reel tape for an old ReVox deck and the kid in there looked at me like I had just arrived from Mars. He did not have a clue what I wanted. The store manager finally dug around in back and found some. Gave it to me- he said it had been off the books for a while.

Find a radio service shop that might still have some old Sams Photofact radio service sheets. They'll be able to test and repair your radio and reverb.
Old October 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM

thanks alot for the tip,will check it out , does anyone know if they even make a new version of the reverb system? will.
Old October 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by willj
thanks alot for the tip,will check it out , does anyone know if they even make a new version of the reverb system? will.
I looked around the internet for a new reverb kit and did not find one - perhap I did not look hard enough, but there are a few old part versions out there, mostly "as is" and not checked out thoroughly to my satisfaction. None that I saw came with instructions.