Rally Pack resistors on back of gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2014, 10:16 AM

Rally Pack resistors on back of gauge cluster

I am installing a Rally Pack to upgrade my instrument panel on 1970 Cutlass SX 455. I believe it is wired correctly thanks to all the previous post on this conversion. I did notice that my fuel gauge now pegs as "full" all the time. The gauge has posts on the back side besides the cable that plugs in at the top of the gauge set. These refer to "fuel", "oil" and "temp". I looked in my service manual and it references resistors wired across some of these posts (see attachment). This is a re-pop gauge, so I'm not sure if these are required or not. I do know that if I ground the "fuel" post, it will slowly got to "E". It should probably read between 3/8 and 1/4 tank. Does anyone know what "standard" values should be used on this?
Al
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rally.jpg (58.7 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by hueveaj; February 16th, 2014 at 10:33 AM. Reason: missing attachment
Old February 16th, 2014, 11:10 AM

I'm guessing you have some other wiring issues. If the gauge drops to empty grounded at the gauge I would say the gauge works correctly. Do any other gages work? Who did you get the gages from? Have you discussed the problem with the supplier?
Old February 17th, 2014, 03:06 AM

This will help you. Just hooked up the gauge last week.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-question.html
Old February 17th, 2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by sworthy555
This will help you. Just hooked up the gauge last week.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-question.html
Thanks, I think I've correctly flipped the wires as prescribed, but I'll re-check tonight. So based on your response, you had no need for resistors?
Old February 17th, 2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by matt69olds
I'm guessing you have some other wiring issues. If the gauge drops to empty grounded at the gauge I would say the gauge works correctly. Do any other gages work? Who did you get the gages from? Have you discussed the problem with the supplier?
I'm not able to go back to supplier since I bought on e-bay. To answer other questions, the oil pressure gauge seems to work, (goes up slightly while cranking the engine). I'm in the middle of a restoration and want to trouble shoot all issues before I completely install the dash. I have not started the engine since new sending units installed but will run the engine likely next week, I'll know more then. So the resistors referenced in the service manual I just ignore in your opinion?
Al
Old February 17th, 2014, 06:27 PM

Don't worry about the resistors - you do not need to add them to the repro units.
Have you tried the backlights to see if they can be seen at night? Darkness was a notorious issue with the repro gauges and documented a fix for them in the link below in my sig.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Don't worry about the resistors - you do not need to add them to the repro units.
Have you tried the backlights to see if they can be seen at night? Darkness was a notorious issue with the repro gauges and documented a fix for them in the link below in my sig.
Thanks for the reminder, but yes, I did dis-assemble and correct the dial plates by painting light blue. It makes a big difference!