Radio repairer

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2014, 07:21 AM

Question Radio repairer

On the web I have seen a couple of references to a classic car radio repairer 'radiogurlie'. Can anyone help with contact details? Or suggest another repairer that might be able to help me with the radio in my recently acquired 1951 88?
TIA
Old July 27th, 2014, 12:41 PM

Don't know your location, but I talked to a guy at Pate that rebuilds radios. South Texas Radio Rersotration I think is his business. I have an old tube radio from a 59 Chevy and he was not too worried about going through it. He was reasonable on his prices too. He can upgrade your stock radio if you so desire. Seems to be a nice guy. I am going to send an 8 track and AM radio to him soon.
Old July 27th, 2014, 01:24 PM
morgan

I used a guy here in CT, mike urban radio repair and he could probable fix anything. reasonable on pricing and about a week to two weeks for stuff done on my 69
Old July 27th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Randy C.

I don't know where you are, but there is a man in Southern Oregon that repairs radios. He's done two radios for me and they work great. His ad in JWO says "...expert radio restoration, all 1930s - 1980s am/fm stereo, tape, wonderbar, tube or solid-state, speakers reconed, radio sales, no fm conversions. His name is Barry Dalton, 1489 Rogue River Hwy, Grants Pass, OR 97527, phone 541-474-2524, email radiodoc@rvi.net.

Randy C.
Old July 28th, 2014, 10:09 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks to everyone for these quick replies (and thanks in advance to anyone else who is able to contribute). I think nowadays, with FedEx &USPS, the location is less important, just need to find the right person to do the job. Will start contacting these repairers soon.

Nice to be part of such a helpful community
Stefan
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:21 AM

Hi,
short question: how do I remove the front *****?
I have a 52 Super 88 and also a not working Radio which I want to remove...

Thanks!
Kai
Old July 31st, 2014, 06:25 AM
Lance

Another source for radio restoration that has a very good reputation

http://www.turnswitch.com/
Old July 31st, 2014, 08:10 AM
Randy C.

This is just a stab in the dark for Kai and his '52 Olds Super 88, but on newer models, the ***** just pull off - they are held on by a spring-loaded clip that fits inside the ****. You might try that with your '52 to see if the ***** come off that way. As well, I've seen earlier radios that have a set screw that you have to loosen to remove the *****.

Randy C.
Old July 31st, 2014, 08:16 AM
Collector of Stray 55's

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
This is just a stab in the dark for Kai and his '52 Olds Super 88, but on newer models, the ***** just pull off - they are held on by a spring-loaded clip that fits inside the ****. You might try that with your '52 to see if the ***** come off that way. As well, I've seen earlier radios that have a set screw that you have to loosen to remove the *****.

Randy C.
I know that on the '55s, there is a small set screw that holds the ***** to the "D-shaped" shafts. If you loosen the screw (an eyeglasses-sized screwdriver will work) the **** will slide right off
Old July 31st, 2014, 09:46 AM

Randy C.
thanks I found it
removal is not that big problem as I thought it would be...
but I scrapped the air hose behind the radio

now I'm looking how to check the electrical tubes or maybe for new ones...

I try to rebuilt the radio and if it's not working (I think also if it's working again) I will transorm it to a MP3 radio... hope this will work...
Old July 31st, 2014, 09:51 AM

I don't know where you are, but there is a man in Southern Oregon that repairs radios. He's done two radios for me and they work great. His ad in JWO says "...expert radio restoration, all 1930s - 1980s am/fm stereo, tape, wonderbar, tube or solid-state, speakers reconed, radio sales, no fm conversions. His name is Barry Dalton, 1489 Rogue River Hwy, Grants Pass, OR 97527, phone 541-474-2524, email radiodoc@rvi.net.

Randy C.
I sent a note to that email and got no reply..........?
Old July 31st, 2014, 02:08 PM
Randy C.

I've actually stopped by Barry's shop a couple of times. He's top notch in the work he does but, sometimes, he strikes me as a bit eccentric. You might try phoning a few times, although I know he is not always at his shop. I travel a lot between Olympia and the coast of Northern California so I go right through Grants Pass. He does have a neat little shop and he is good at what he does. The two radios he's done for me I actually dropped them both off at his shop on separate occasions and then picked them up on my return trips. The real trick is to actually talk over the phone or email with him!

Randy C.