Radio conversion

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2015, 08:03 AM

Radio conversion

I am thinking of converting my radio to the new age. I have heard and read about that new module FMR-2 that would be put inside. Has anyone done that? Any comments and thoughts would be appreciated as well as alternatives.

Also is there a thread showing how to remove the radio from the dashboard? I don't seem to find one,

Thank you in advance
Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:10 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 69cutlassman
I am thinking of converting my radio to the new age. I have heard and read about that new module FMR-2 that would be put inside. Has anyone done that? Any comments and thoughts would be appreciated as well as alternatives.

Also is there a thread showing how to remove the radio from the dashboard? I don't seem to find one,

Thank you in advance
I believe you mean the FMR-1 module by Aurora Design. I have no first-hand experience, but their products appear to be quite capable.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:15 AM

google redirad ask for Matt tell him Stellar sent you.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 09:53 AM

redirad Matt 1 877 223 0203 www.rediscoverradio.com Not all the frills, but a lot less expensive. About $100.00 Tell em Stellar sent you.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:32 AM

Yes, Joe, you are correct, the FMR-1.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:34 AM

Thanks Stellar. I have heard about that product. Not sure about my radio actually as I have an other one currently in the glove box! The previous owner had that setup installed but I don't like it. I will check it out.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:49 AM

For pulling the radio it is straight forward. The two ***** and selectors slide off, you also have two nuts on the front side (on the tuning and volume shafts) Then on the back you have an electical connecter with three wires (black ground, yellow power and I believe a blue for speaker) and an antena plugin and mabe a rear speaker wire (blue off the side) The antena pulls straight out, the electrical connectors are just male/ female connectors. Towards the back of the radio you have a small support bracket to the glovebox side w/ two 1/4 inch socket head bolts. Then your radio should be free to manuver out (towards the fire wall and under). Thats just for the radio if you pull the face plate too, it's another four 1/4 inchers at the corner of the plate on the backside. Have fun and keep track of all the little cuts on your forearms and profanities you yell while working und the dash! Oh yeh it's easier if you remove your glovebox liner. This is how I remeber it about 3 months ago. I have the standard small AM radio w/ dash and rear deck speaker in my 68. I went the amp in the trunk route with an aux jack under the carpet and in the ashtray.

Bill
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:51 AM

Caveat - (after reading thru the fine print) this unit allows you to play media from another source thru your existing AM radio (read - poor quality 40+ year old AM amplifier thru stock speaker) - It will not play in stereo, and requires a separate FM receiver to listen to FM broadcasts. IMO, not the best alternative for quality sound in your classic.
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:56 AM

Love my Retro Sound Radio (just don't buy it direct) fits perfect looks stock and has all the modern car amenities!

Craig
Old April 4th, 2015, 11:00 AM

Thanks Bill for the walkthrough, it will come in handy for sure.

Craig, I will also look into Retro Sound.
Old April 14th, 2015, 09:32 PM

radio conversion

Hi,

You asked for alternate suggestions so I thought I'd mention the stereo housings I build. Here's a link to an ad I have on this web site. Good luck with which ever solution you choose.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-housings.html
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by 442craig
Love my Retro Sound Radio (just don't buy it direct) fits perfect looks stock and has all the modern car amenities!
Craig
Craig - Curious, what is the problem when buying direct?