probaly a dumb ?

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:16 PM

probaly a dumb ?

im going to change my 69 442 back to points dist from hei want to keep it stock looking going to use petronics thought just not sure if im going to run into any wireing problen with running the power wire from the hei back to the coil not sure what some did converting it over before
Old July 3rd, 2007, 12:30 AM

Does this help?

Make sure you use the stock coil.

Odds are, they removed the resistor wire, if so, that might be a small problem.

Norm
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:40 AM

Excellent answer.

John
Old July 3rd, 2007, 06:14 PM

on my oter parts car witch still has the points ignition has two wires going to the positive on the coil yellow & black i found the stock wires on the hei car just cut below the intake is the resistor further down ? & im assuming i should hook up the yellow & black wires two the positive on the coil ?
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by mr-tom
on my oter parts car witch still has the points ignition has two wires going to the positive on the coil yellow & black i found the stock wires on the hei car just cut below the intake is the resistor further down ? & im assuming i should hook up the yellow & black wires two the positive on the coil ?

there are 2 wires that run to the positive of the points coil

1 is a resistor wire that plugs into the back of the circuit panel/fuse box. it is clearly labeled "resistor" on the wire jacket

2 is a wire that runs to your starter so that your coil is provided with a full 12 volts while starting it.

if you run pertronix #1 i believe you can keep both the resistor wire, and the starter wire

if you run pertronix #2 you need to remove both wires, and replace the resistor wire with a 12 guage copper stranded wire in place of the resistor wire. The starter wire will no longer be needed on the pertronix 2 (not sure on the pert. 1)

to replace the resistor wire, remove the bolt that holds the plug to the back of the fuse block and remove the plug.
unwrap the rubber tape from the harness.
take a small screw driver and close the tang on the packard 56 terminal and remove the wire out of the back of the plug
crimp on a new terminal on your 12 gauge stranded and insert it back into the plug housing.
tape your harness back up
plug your plug back in and screw it back down to the firewall
route your new 12 gauge to the coil

not too bad

if you need help, please ask

Mike