Power window wire routing

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2011, 09:23 AM

Power window wire routing

Can someone please tell me the proper wire routing for the rear power windows into the 1/4. Its a 69 442 Conv,. The way its routed now it is getting pinched when I put the access panel cover on. Also how do the rear side panel attach to the 1/4, screws or clips.
Thanks, Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0388.jpg (60.5 KB, 36 views)
PICT0390.jpg (56.8 KB, 33 views)
Old September 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM

Anybody have a 69 FBM that could help me out?
Old September 25th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Yowwww... Check that harness for cuts and repair as needed - Routing it through the access panel is a short and fire waiting to happen!

The wiring goes in through the crank / switch hole as seen here:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post55206

The quarter panels are held on with one clip and 1or2 screws.
Old September 25th, 2011, 02:19 PM

Thanks, Rob. Thats the photo I needed. The harness is still in good shape since I hadnt screwed the panels on yet. I actually did try to route throgh the swtch hole and couldnt get the plug for the motor to reach. Will try again.
Thanks, Rob
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Randy C.

I'm going to take a stab at it. I took a couple of pictures of my '69 but, for some reason, the pictures aren't transferring from my phone to the chip in the phone. I'm so illiterate with this stuff that I'll have to take it to the phone company to fix it.

On my '69 4-4-2 convertible, there is a hole in the metal panel on each side, just below and aft of the bottom of the convertible top hydraulic cylinder. There is also a rubber plug for each side of my power window harness. On each side, the wires to the motor go through that hole and to the motor; the plug pushes into the hole. That should leave you with two wire runs on the "outside" of the hole - the switch run and the run that goes aft.

The switch wire run on each side passes underneath the hydraulic cylinder and then moves up the metal panel at a steep angle. There are two plastic retainers wrapped into the harness where they attach to the metal panel - the lower of the two snaps into a hole and the upper is attached with a screw.

The wire run aft goes up and behind the seat back on each side, I suppose to the power source (I didn't remove my seat back and I just don't recall off hand how each side connects in). This run is attached to the floorboard with a screw on each side before it disappears behind the seat back with a plastic retainer that's wrapped into the harness. It attaches at the same place where the wire run for the rear passenger courtesy light wire runs (orange and white wires) attach to the floorboard.

The panels on my original quarter pieces are attached to the upper metal portion with pop rivets. There are 11 rivets total for each side, and they run in a pattern, from front to back, of two rivets, an open space, 3 rivets, an open space, 4 rivets, an open space, and then 2 rivets near the rear part of the panel. I don't see any evidence of glue also being used but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

I hope this helps. It's frustrating when the camera thing works for months and months and, then, when you really need some pictures, something went FUBAR (i.e., I pressed a wrong button somewhere) and now the pictures aren't transferring from the phone to the chip. I can get the pictures from the chip to the computer but I can't get them from the phone to the computer. The world is leaving me behind.

I hope this helps. If I can get my phone set up again tomorrow, I'll transfer some pictures to you.

Randy C.
Old September 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Hey Randy, thanks. I know what you mean about uploading pics, could def be a PIA. There are no holes anyhere around the cylinders. There is a posibility that this car originally had cranks. When I bought this car it had pwr in the front and cranks in the rear with the wiring and switches tucked under the back seat. I might have to drill a hole for the power plug. If you can figure out your phone a pic would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rob
Old September 26th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Randy C.

PICTURES! I don't know how they did it, but I appeared at Verizon's front door, the helper asked what they could do for me, I told them, she grabbed my phone and in about 10 seconds all the pictures on my camera were routed to the chip. She showed me how to do it but it went so fast it's still a blur. I'll just have to go down there again the next time it happens.

I lied about how the harness is attached to the metal in one of the spots. Each attachment point is held to the metal with a small 5/16" hex head screw. There's one attachment area just forward of the lower part of the hydraulic cylinder for the wire that goes to the switch, plus another on that same run up by the switch. And then there's one more attachment point just before the wire disappears behind the seat back and that's where the wires (on each side) are also attached for the courtesy light run.

I just took pictures of the driver side but the passenger side is exactly the same. You should be able to see where the rubber grommet around the harness fits into a hole that allows that part of the harness to go to the window motor.

I'm not real excited about pulling the seat back but, if you need to see that area as well, I'll do it and take some more shots.

I guess it's a good thing I haven't worked on this car for almost 20 years. With it still basically apart, I've been able to answer a lot of questions for many, including me!

Hope this helps.

Randy C.
Attached Images
0926111334.jpg (46.2 KB, 30 views)
0926111334a.jpg (57.6 KB, 32 views)
0926111337.jpg (49.7 KB, 27 views)
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:12 PM

Randy, Thanks very much for taking the time to help me, the photos are a big help. It looks like this car didnt originally have pwr windows. Just curious if the option code for pwr windows is supposed to be on the cowl tag.
Thanks very much, Rob
Old September 26th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Randy C.

My '69 4-4-2 vert (Fremont car) has its original power windows but that option code is not on the cowl tag. In those earlier years I don't recall too many Oldsmobiles having option codes on the cowl tag other than drip moldings for hardtops.

I included a picture of the back side of the passenger rear interior panel to show where the rivets hold the "paper" panel to the metal panel. The front is to the right and you can see the 2-3-4-2 pattern of the rivets. The driver side is the same pattern from front to rear.

Glad to be of help. My car has been sitting as it is now for some 19+ years. I've spent most of my time on the '68 4-4-2 convertible (same color combo as the '69), a '70 GTO and a '71 Corvette. I need to get busy on this '69!

Randy C.
Attached Images
0926111836.jpg (43.4 KB, 20 views)
Olds69442.jpg (44.6 KB, 20 views)