power lock/window conversion

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2013, 04:10 PM

power lock/window conversion

my '68 olds Delta 88 has manual locks and windows, from the factory.

the car is my driver, and I've been thoroughly satisfied with it, especially since throwing a cam/intake/roller rockers/carb at it.

one of my main problems with having it as a driver, is the lack of power locks/windows.

since the transmission is not numbers matching, and its a 4 door, originality isn't a major concern.

I bought
a kit of 4 electric lock actuators a kit of 4 electric lock actuators
with harness and control box on amazon, and am yet to install them, I will post information about the conversion here when it happens. the kit was $30 and I don't need to cut up the door panel at all, my locksmith has the same kit in his van, and he says he's been happy with it.

the same company makes
a kit for power windows a kit for power windows
, and probably in February I will order the kit of 4 motors +2 more for my vent windows. the switches included in the kit are plastic, and I'd prefer something a little more stock looking. in my '76 cutlass it had the chrome row-of-4 that I was happy with...I see those literally everywhere in the junk yard, so I'll snag one of those next time I see one...but my question is, does anyone have any experience cutting up the door panel to put in after-stock switches?

finally, I want a trunk popper.

I know GM made them for later cars, does anyone know if the later actuators (say off of a '90s W chassis or an '80s G/B chassis) are a direct bolt in? can I keep the same key?
Old December 6th, 2013, 03:05 PM

today I bench tested the kit.

Old December 6th, 2013, 05:04 PM
72 Olds CS

disclaimer: I dont get out much

but thats pretty cool I had no idea they offered aftermarket PDL and PW kits so cheaply nice score thanks for posting
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:25 PM

I've been installing this over the last few days. the harness that came with the kit was meant for a much smaller car, but I ran the wires that would have gone to the back doors to the passenger side and made it work without modification. I can't find a good place to take 12v from under the dash, probably because I don't have a wiring diagram.

the cost of this kit isn't the $30, but the installation time. going to be worth it when its done.

my phone's memory card is full, so I don't have any pics. will post them when I get a new card.
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:45 PM

Very Very Cool. I'll looked at this kit online before and wondered if it was worth it. I'll be watching this thread for details. Ditto on the Trunk switch.
Old December 12th, 2013, 03:57 PM

oh, I bought a W chassis trunk popper at the junk yard, I will try to install that once I'm done with the locks. I'll let you know.
Old December 12th, 2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1976Oldswagon
my phone's memory card is full, so I don't have any pics. will post them when I get a new card.
Can't you just transfer the pics to your computer? Connect a cable from the phone's charging port to the computer. I do this all the time.

Or can you remove the memory card and insert it into a card-reader slot on your computer, assuming it has one of those? I do this all the time with the memory card in my digital camera.

What kind of phone do you have?
Old December 12th, 2013, 06:31 PM

an older HTC EVO.

my time in the shop was coming to an end, I tried to take a video and it gave me the "memory full" error. I'll get one tomorrow.