On/Off switch for key buzzer

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Kenn

On/Off switch for key buzzer

Hi All - The wiring diagram for my 68 442 shows an on/off switch for the key/ignition buzzer, but I've not been able to find it. Is it a figment of the diagrams imagination, or did they really put a switch in so you could kill the buzzer? And if so - where the heck did they put it?
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:24 AM

I wonder if you are looking at a 69 wiring diagram. that is the first year for key in the column when that all started?
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:51 AM

On my '68 Toronado, the buzzer only works if the key is pushed all the way in. Is the switch incorporated in the ignition switch? A contact switch? Mine was missing the buzzer assembly when I got the car, but I was able to scrounge all of the stuff from a parts car. It incorporated the horn relay, which is really what I was trying to fix. It is cool to have the old door buzzer working as intended, though.
Old March 6th, 2015, 08:59 AM

The '68s had a ignition key buzzer too. The buzzer is co-located w/ the horn relay, where it picks up +12V power, then it finds ground through contacts in the ignition switch (key inserted detection) then through the driver's door jamb switch (door open detection). I don't see any other switch contacts in the ignition buzzer circuit.

Dad pulled the wire off the buzzer under the hood of my '68 back in the '70s, I had forgotten that my car even had that feature until this thread reminded me of it.
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The switch in the diagram is the switch inside the ignition switch.

The "switch" to make the buzzer go away is to pull the pink (or was it pink and black?) wire off of the horn relay.

The first thing I have done, after giving the seller the money, to buy a GM car, since 1980, is to walk around to the front, open the hood, and yank that wire.

- Eric
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:15 AM

That buzzer reminds me of first 68. I love it. It's also reminded me to take the key out of the ignition once or twice
Old March 6th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by kstern58
Hi All - The wiring diagram for my 68 442 shows an on/off switch for the key/ignition buzzer, but I've not been able to find it.
I don't know what wiring diagram you are looking at, but I have the 1968 CSM open to the wiring diagram and there is no "switch" shown. The only things shown in that circuit are the ignition switch, where it specifically shows the terminal that makes contact when the key is in the switch, and the buzzer inside the horn relay itself. There is nothing else between the two (other than the firewall connector), which are connected by a pink wire with black stripe.
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:56 AM
Kenn

Indeed, I was looking at a '69 wiring diagram. The reason I asked this question is that the buzzer is not working, so I thought of there was a switch then perhhaps it was turned off. I replaced all of the wiring harnesses this winter, and the buzzer is the only thing that does not work.
Old March 7th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Just ground the terminal of your horn relay that has the pink and black wire attached to it -
if the buzzer buzzes, the problem is almost definitely in the (extremely delicate) key-in switch at the end of the ignition lock cylinder,
if the buzzer doesn't buzz, you need a new horn relay.

- Eric
Old March 7th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by kstern58
Indeed, I was looking at a '69 wiring diagram. The reason I asked this question is that the buzzer is not working, so I thought of there was a switch then perhhaps it was turned off. I replaced all of the wiring harnesses this winter, and the buzzer is the only thing that does not work.
There is no "on/off" switch in any year, as federal requirements for the buzzer did not allow it to be defeated. The switch you are looking at in the 1969 wiring diagram is the switch inside the steering column that activates the buzzer with the key in the lock. The 1969-up cars are different from the 1968 cars because the steering column-mounted lock cylinder is NOT the ignition switch - it is only a lock. Because of this, there needed to be a separate switch to sense when the key was inserted into the lock.