No Spark....Need Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2008 | 04:34 PM

No Spark....Need Help!!!

Hi... Just bought my first 71 cutlass supreme convertible project car....The car has been sitting in a barn for a few years...Previous owner lost the keys...I replaced the ignition cylinder... the other problem is that there was a starter interupter installed that you would need a magnet to start the car, or the horn will honk when trying to start the car and the engine will not crank.... I found the starter interupter under the dash and uninstalled it and bypassed it...Now for my other problem....I installed new ignition coil, cap,rotor, and points, condensor....I have power to the coil when the key is on the run position, but getting no spark when tying to start....It seems like there might be a wire missing going to the coil or distributor....this is what i have.....at the coil I have a black wire coming from the distributor and is conected to the negative side of the coil... at the positive i have one wire coming from a resister that is mounted on the ignition coil bracket, and another wire,(not sure of the color) and not sure where its coming from.....but it runs along the firewall and inside, i would guess its going to the ignition switch...does anyone know how those old magnet starter kill switch's worked? did i forget to bypass something...does anyone know what colors or what wires go to the coil? Any help!! PLEASE!!! Thanks..
Old July 6th, 2008 | 05:15 PM

There should be a yellow wire coming from the starter to the coil. On the starter the large terminal is the battery cable, one wire (purple) cranks the engine when the key is turned to start and the other terminal/wire supplies 12 volts to the coil for starting. Don't run a 12 volt wire to coil from anywhere else, it will burn the coil up. The resistor you mentioned reduces the voltage to the coil to 6 volts.

Anyway, it sounds like you have the purple wire connected correctly. You just need the yellow from the other small terminal to the + side of the coil. It should start then.

Don
Old July 6th, 2008 | 05:38 PM

Just noticed you're new to the site, so let me be the first one to welcome you! Several folks have 70 - 72 cutlass' here and there are a few convertibles too. I'm sure you can get answers to most questions here.

Oh yeah, a new project convertible.... You gotta gets us some pictures. We like pictures!

Again Welcome! Don
Old July 7th, 2008 | 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Dapapadon
Just noticed you're new to the site, so let me be the first one to welcome you! Several folks have 70 - 72 cutlass' here and there are a few convertibles too. I'm sure you can get answers to most questions here.

Oh yeah, a new project convertible.... You gotta gets us some pictures. We like pictures!

Again Welcome! Don
Thanks Don, I'm going to head back out to the barn this weekend and work on it some more....
Mario

Last edited by cstnzo; July 8th, 2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old July 7th, 2008 | 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dapapadon

Again Welcome! Don

Must - have - pictures!

Welcome aboard Mario! Keep us posted on your ignition problem - getting it back to stock should be fairly easy.

That little kill device seemed nifty... Never hear of one blowing the horn to tell you you're starting it wrong. Reminds me of all these stupid noises my computer makes every time I screw up. It sounds like a pinball machine sometimes...
Old July 8th, 2008 | 06:16 AM

here's a pic of my car on the first day I found it in the barn.....I'll have more pics once I get it started and out of the barn....Be surprised what a little soap and water can do.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1971 Cutlass 001.jpg (98.7 KB, 31 views)
Old July 8th, 2008 | 09:06 AM

There sure are a lot of people finding Oldsmobiles in barns lately...

Looks pretty solid and in restorable condition. -- Nice!

Yep, some soap and water can make a huge difference - post some after-wash pics soon!
Old July 12th, 2008 | 06:10 PM

Just an update.....just came back from working on my car....got it started and runs great....turned out to be that the points were not set right...after messing around with them and still not getting it...I put the mallory electronic ignition conversion kit...and fired right up!!!!! Thanks again for the help Don...... Now that I got it running I have a few other things to do to get home from the barn.....get some air in the tires, and I have no brake pedal....the resovoir was empty, and filled it last week, still full but there must be air in the line....I can work on it better once I get it home.... thanks again,
Mario
Old July 12th, 2008 | 09:22 PM

Glad to hear you got it running! I kinda' like to have my project cars running too. A lot easier to work on when you can move them around.

Don