New to Olds

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2019 | 03:19 PM

New to Olds

Hi all, I recently inherited a 72 Cutlass and am having some issues with the radio. It might be a simple fix but I’m a dope when it comes to wiring. My issue is almost no volume out of the stereo. When cranked all the way, all I hear is a dull hum. I’m very new to cars and am looking for any insight. Thanks in advance for your patience and help.
Old April 29th, 2019 | 03:33 PM
Administrator

Stock or aftermarket stereo? A dull hum or very low volume. Very low volume is probably shot speakers. A dull hum can be a lot of things to include a bad antenna ground to bad output transistors.
Old April 29th, 2019 | 03:39 PM

It’s the original stereo and now that you mention it, it is better described as very low volume so I assume you’re correct about the bad speakers. Aside from putting new ones in, is there any way to test that? Again, I apologize for my ignorance on the topic.
Old April 29th, 2019 | 03:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Low or no volume from the Delco radios is almost always caused by the power transistor going bad. The transistor is the round device visible on the back of the radio case. It is bolted to a heat sink internally. I've replaced them, and it restores radio function, but you still have a crappy 1970 radio. New ones are available on ebay, as well as from electronic suppliers like Mouser and DigiKey.

Old April 29th, 2019 | 06:57 PM
Administrator

This is not the same shape of your speakers, but from your description they usually look like this:
Old April 30th, 2019 | 08:50 AM

Yep, it is either bad speaker(s) or bad output. Time to repair or replace. Depends on your taste. If you repair, you end up with a 50 year old radio. If you replace, you end up with modern equipment that can improve your driving experience. Your call.
Old April 30th, 2019 | 12:46 PM

If it's an AM radio, check what broadcasts are still available on the AM band in your area. You might find that what you currently hear is the best option!

I left mine in ('71 Cutlass S) the dash but no longer connected to the speakers. Installed a new unit hung under the dash, new parcel shelf speakers, amp and bass in the trunk...better sound than you'll ever get from AM :-D
Old April 30th, 2019 | 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
If it's an AM radio, check what broadcasts are still available on the AM band in your area. You might find that what you currently hear is the best option.
He would still hear static if everything was working right. Full volume static. No volume = no speaker or no output.
Old May 1st, 2019 | 11:34 AM

Again, please pardon the ignorance, but do the new “retro” radios plug and play per se? I’ve read that new ones need switched and constant power. I figure if I’m going to take speakers out I might as well do it all.
Old May 1st, 2019 | 05:28 PM
Administrator

Yes, the newer digital radios need a switched power source and a constant for memory and the clock.
Old May 1st, 2019 | 05:34 PM

Last question.... I took out the radio and am going to remove the speaker tomorrow. Will a new 10 ohm speaker be easy to hook up the the stock radio for someone who is not adept at car wiring?
Old May 1st, 2019 | 05:39 PM
Administrator

Before you rush out to buy a new 10ohm, you can use an 8ohm to test. If you don't have one run the radio down to a best buy or similar electronics store. They can probably do a quick test of your unit for the price of some beer.
Old May 1st, 2019 | 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by DTencza
Again, please pardon the ignorance, but do the new “retro” radios plug and play per se? I’ve read that new ones need switched and constant power. I figure if I’m going to take speakers out I might as well do it all.
They are not exactly "plug-n-play". If you get one that fits your dash, it may come with the correct wiring plug attached but it depends on the manufacturer. Either way, the power and speaker plugs are available so you can add them onto the new radio so that they will simply plug in. If you are upgrading from a single dash speaker to stereo, the factory speaker wiring will not support that so you will need to run your own new speaker wires. It is usually best to do that anyway on old GM cars.
Old May 1st, 2019 | 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by DTencza
Last question.... I took out the radio and am going to remove the speaker tomorrow. Will a new 10 ohm speaker be easy to hook up the the stock radio for someone who is not adept at car wiring?
Yes. But as mentioned above, an 8 ohm speaker makes a great substitute, will not damage the factory radio, and is much easier to find.