New Generator Smoking + Voltage Regulator Question

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2020, 10:18 AM

Red face New Generator Smoking + Voltage Regulator Question

I bought a re-manufactured generator and a new voltage regulator.
ACDelco Gen - 19133825
ACDelco Voltage Regulator - 19107031 (U611)

I installed the new generator it had 2 terminals and another 3rd one about halfway down the the generator it looked like a grounding point, is this correct (Photo below)? If its not needed I will disconnect it. Anyway, it started smoking just like my previous generator so stopped cranking the engine. I have a new voltage regulator (3 point) I lost the instructions, but I believe I have to bridge a connection/polarize the generator? I believe this is done by bridging the Battery Terminal and the Arm terminal correct? I'm about to install the new voltage regulator now and start cleaning up all my corroded points, any guidance would be appreciated!

Do I bridge when the vehicle is started, cranking, or off? I've seen people say different things.

Thanks guys.

Raj

Old March 21st, 2020, 11:43 AM

From the 1961 service manual

Old March 21st, 2020, 01:47 PM

It's not a ground post. The ground is a threaded hole in line with the A post. It is a nut and bolt to hold the brush holder in place. Originally it was a rivet.
Old March 21st, 2020, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by nicks1966
From the 1961 service manual
Thank you! It looks like its charging and my GEN light went away. I'll continue driving it around the next few days to make sure it continues to charge it.

Originally Posted by stellar
It's not a ground post. The ground is a threaded hole in line with the A post. It is a nut and bolt to hold the brush holder in place. Originally it was a rivet.
I see, I did end up taking it off anyway, not sure if it made a difference, but I definitely had a bad voltage regulator. I just spliced into the original wiring so it looks like the only wires connected to the generator are the A and F posts going to the voltage regulator.
Old March 21st, 2020, 03:29 PM

I have been through about five regulators. When we went to Reno the reg fried my generator and we had to get everything rebuilt in Reno. Grrr. I am thinking of getting a look a like alternator. $475. ?
Old March 21st, 2020, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
I have been through about five regulators. When we went to Reno the reg fried my generator and we had to get everything rebuilt in Reno. Grrr. I am thinking of getting a look a like alternator. $475. ?
Yeah I asked around before and everyone told me to stay away from alternators. I don't really know why, purists or annoying to rewire, not exactly sure. I personally don't care about the look, its not like I have a limited edition, I just want something reliable for my dad. I was just going to order an alternator and look up some conversion info. If it doesn't hold up, alternator here I come.

Also my replacement generator didn't even fit correctly, I had to order an alternator bracket off of amazon just to get it to align and tension the belts. I don't see the point in paying for a PowerGen look-a-like its like $400.

My replacement gen was $86, everyone told me to rebuild it as well but I just couldn't be asked to deal with it. Core was $8, shipping it back would've cost at least $40 the damn thing weighs like 50 lbs, its sitting in my garage.