Neutral Switch Issue?

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2020 | 02:14 PM

Neutral Switch Issue?

Hi,
Occasionally I experience a no-crank issue where battery and cables are new as well as starter is fairly new. Could turning the key and getting dash lights but no crank be a neutral switch issue? It only happens here and there and if I switch the key back off and try a couple more times it cranks right up. Any ideas?
Old February 23rd, 2020 | 02:58 PM
Administrator

It could be. It could also be poor/corroded connections at various places. Intermittent issues are always annoying.
Old February 23rd, 2020 | 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
It could be. It could also be poor/corroded connections at various places. Intermittent issues are always annoying.
100%. Not that I welcome issues but I would rather it be a clear problem. This is just frustrating. Would a bad neutral safety switch also cause the key-in door open buzzer from not sounding? I noticed that when I had the no start issue. I cycled the shifter through the gears and then back into park and it fired up. Just though it odd...
Old February 23rd, 2020 | 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by tgilligan
I cycled the shifter through the gears and then back into park and it fired up.
Have you tried manually moving the steering wheel collar behind the key cylinder when you have the no-start issue? If there's some slack in the backdrive linkage, it can result in the NSS slightly out of alignment. If it's bad enough, you can't remove the key when shifting into Park.
Old February 23rd, 2020 | 03:34 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tgilligan
100%. Not that I welcome issues but I would rather it be a clear problem. This is just frustrating. Would a bad neutral safety switch also cause the key-in door open buzzer from not sounding? I noticed that when I had the no start issue. I cycled the shifter through the gears and then back into park and it fired up. Just though it odd...
Yes, double check your NSS adjustment and your back drive as Kenneth stated above. Your description is pointing to that.
Old February 23rd, 2020 | 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Have you tried manually moving the steering wheel collar behind the key cylinder when you have the no-start issue? If there's some slack in the backdrive linkage, it can result in the NSS slightly out of alignment. If it's bad enough, you can't remove the key when shifting into Park.
Thanks for the tip, I’ll try that.
Old February 23rd, 2020 | 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Yes, double check your NSS adjustment and your back drive as Kenneth stated above. Your description is pointing to that.
Thanks! I’ll give it a shot.
Old February 23rd, 2020 | 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
Another question is if there is some slack in that collar, what steps do I need to adjust it? I may have done this once in the past when my shift indicator didn’t line up properly. For that I loosened the bolt in the linkage and made sure the trans was solidly in park, I then rotated the column to align the needle on the indicator and tightened the bolt back up. Is that the same type of process?

Last edited by tgilligan; February 23rd, 2020 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Revised question
Old February 23rd, 2020 | 05:14 PM

If the back drive is the issue, most likely you will find some worn rubber/plastic bushings in the linkage. A little slop in each bushing can stack up and create a lot of slack by the time it makes it the the NSS. I think the bushing/insulator are available thru Dorman and the help section at the parts store.