Need help-no reverse light

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2011, 11:32 AM

Need help-no reverse light

Hy guys,
iīm in process to install my hurst V-matic (floor)shifter in my 65 442 and notice that the reverse light donīt work.I saw that the YELLOW/BLACK cable that go from the shifter to the front are cut under the dashboard???

Anyone know where the reverse light cable goes under the dashboard???
I looked at the wiring diagram but donīt found a Y/B cable from the reverse light.

HEEeelp.
Old July 29th, 2011, 06:54 AM

Twist them together and see if it works!
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rickman48
twist them together and see if it works!
x2!
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:05 AM

i talked about one cable that is painted yellow/Black that goes from shifter to the d.board.
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by STLCRZY
i talked about one cable that is painted yellow/Black that goes from shifter to the d.board.
Please don't take this as being critical, but the best way to describe a electrical wire in an automobile is "black with a yellow tracer" or a black wire and a yellow wire bonded together. When two wires are bonded together, that means that they are usually dedicated to a specific circuit. The main color goes first, and then the "stripe" or tracer color goes second. This is how it is described in most FSM wiring diagrams. Also, the gauge of the wire will also help in a description, since 16 gauge wire is most often used for small bulb lighting, etc. in the dash and console. 12 gauge and lower is usually a power supply wire, such as for a power top, seat, etc. 14 gauge is usually used for longer runs and higher demand lighting, such as directionals and tail lamps. As with anything automotive, these gauge wires are the norm, however, there are always exceptions depending on year of manufacture, brand, and other factors too numerous to detail.

Last edited by Junkman; July 29th, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Here is a link to the wiring diagrams, its 2 pages, left and right.

http://www.tocmp.com/tOCMP/wiring/57.../oldsindex.htm
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Junkman
Please don't take this as being critical, but the best way to describe a electrical wire in an automobile is "black with a yellow tracer" or a black wire and a yellow wire bonded together. When two wires are bonded together, that means that they are usually dedicated to a specific circuit. The main color goes first, and then the "stripe" or tracer color goes second. This is how it is described in most FSM wiring diagrams. Also, the gauge of the wire will also help in a description, since 16 gauge wire is most often used for small bulb lighting, etc. in the dash and console. 12 gauge and lower is usually a power supply wire, such as for a power top, seat, etc. 14 gauge is usually used for longer runs and higher demand lighting, such as directionals and tail lamps. As with anything automotive, these gauge wires are the norm, however, there are always exceptions depending on year of manufacture, brand, and other factors too numerous to detail.
many thanks for info....
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Here is a link to the wiring diagrams, its 2 pages, left and right.

http://www.tocmp.com/tOCMP/wiring/57.../oldsindex.htm

...i looked at the same wiring but canīt found any yellow wiring in associated with the brake lights.
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Administrator

That is correct, you should have a dark green/white wire to your nuetral safety/back up light switch from the fuse box and out of the switch it is light green to the lamps. The black/ yellow wire is for your brake/ directional circuit.

So if you look at your backup light in the trunk you should see the light green wire. If you look in the front either in the center floor or over by the steering column, you should find the dark green/white wire. There should a purple wire running with it.

Last edited by oldcutlass; July 29th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:39 AM

........ in associated with the "reverse lights"...sorry

Last edited by STLCRZY; July 29th, 2011 at 11:42 AM.
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Yes, the green wires are for your backups, and the purple goes to the neutral safety. The switch is a combination neutral safety and reverse switch. All wires go to the same place. Did you have a column or a floor shifter originally?

If it were a column shift, then those 4 wires run up the column to the gear selector. If it were a floor shifter, then those 4 wires ran there.
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM

Yes, the green wires are for your backups, and the purple goes to the neutral safety. The switch is a combination neutral safety and reverse switch. All wires go to the same place. Did you have a column or a floor shifter originally?

If it were a column shift, then those 4 wires run up the column to the gear selector. If it were a floor shifter, then those 4 wires ran there.
..itīs a floor auto shifter.Where this neutral safety/back up light switch are located....Must i remove the dashboard to see this switch or must i go diving in the legroom.
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Was it always a floor shifter??????
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM

Yoop
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Then you should be able to see those wires somewhere near the center up under the dash. Or dig around under the carpet by your shifter.
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:38 PM

Then you should be able to see those wires somewhere near the center up under the dash. Or dig around under the carpet by your shifter.

is this the switch that i must find.....http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104148
Old July 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Administrator

That would be the switch that would have been in the column. The 2 purple wires are for your neutral safety circuit. The other 2 wires in that picture are for the seat sensors on what I suppose is a camaro. The backup wiring is not shown on that switch. However you said your car was always a floor shift. So that wiring shoud be somewhere by the shifter console area.
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:05 AM

That would be the switch that would have been in the column. The 2 purple wires are for your neutral safety circuit. The other 2 wires in that picture are for the seat sensors on what I suppose is a camaro. The backup wiring is not shown on that switch. However you said your car was always a floor shift. So that wiring shoud be somewhere by the shifter console area.
------
okay and where go the back up lights wire(Y/B) from the shifter console...???
(found it cute under the dashboard)
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by STLCRZY
------
okay and where go the back up lights wire(Y/B) from the shifter console...???
(found it cute under the dashboard)
Ok, the yellow/ black wire was ( on V8 only) originally there to bypass your resistor wire to the coil and supply a full 12vdc from the starter solenoid. I would venture to guess you have an HEI distributor in there!!
Old July 30th, 2011, 06:46 AM

Yes an HEI !
Old December 25th, 2011, 04:26 PM

Hello merry christmas/happy holidays to all!
I too have a question about my reverse light, I have a 71 cutlass S, just replaces my bench with 2 buckets and new floor shifter column along with a hurst v matic 2 floor shifter. My mechanics could not get the reverse light to work? I am guessing I could just cut the reverse wire from the column and connect it to the hurst shifter? Any ideas? Also the drive shaft is hitting the shifter bolts when making a left turn under load or when I have 1 or more passengers in the car? I am assuming that either the shifter mounting bolts are too long and or tranny and or motor mounts need replacing? Any advice appreciates? I should have done the job myself as usual?
Old December 26th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by pistonpop
Hello merry christmas/happy holidays to all!
I too have a question about my reverse light, I have a 71 cutlass S, just replaces my bench with 2 buckets and new floor shifter column along with a hurst v matic 2 floor shifter. My mechanics could not get the reverse light to work? I am guessing I could just cut the reverse wire from the column and connect it to the hurst shifter? Any ideas? Also the drive shaft is hitting the shifter bolts when making a left turn under load or when I have 1 or more passengers in the car? I am assuming that either the shifter mounting bolts are too long and or tranny and or motor mounts need replacing? Any advice appreciates? I should have done the job myself as usual?
If your "mechanic" can't figure out to run the two green wires from the column-mounted neutral safety/backup switch to the backup light switch on the new shifter, then it's really time to find a mechanic who has a clue. Also, what are you doing about the neutral safety switch?
Old December 26th, 2011, 06:22 PM

I thought he said he had the neutral safety switch figured out? But not the reverse lights? I can figure it out if he can't. My concern right now is he installed a hurst V matic 2 shifter and the drive shaft is hitting the bolts when it's under load? I am guessing the bolts are too long? But if not and it's just that the clearance is not there, I am not sure what to do? Should I change the trans mount and motor mounts? I need to get under it and take a look. I have been busy otherwise I should have done everything myself! If I need to make clearance do you have any suggestions? Can I shim down the cross member of the trans? Will the Universal joints go bad if on an angle? What's your advice?
Old December 26th, 2011, 06:25 PM

Also someone whom owned the car in the past made a mess of the wiring and neutral switch?
Old December 26th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You need to put the car up, get underneath it, take it apart, figure out what your "mechanic" did, do it all over again, correctly, and put it back together.

I doubt that anyone can offer very much more advice at this point, without knowing exactly how your "mechanic" screwed it up.

- Eric
Old December 26th, 2011, 07:24 PM

Yup! I hear ya! Just wanted some options? I use to turn wrenches in my 20's I am just a little beat up to be getting under my car! Thanks I'll post my findings.