MSD Connectivity ?

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2011 | 12:38 PM

MSD Connectivity ?

1. When adding an MSD 7 Ignition box how are you wiring it up?

MSD says to wire the ignition box coil terminals + and - straight to my MSD coil. Then what happens to the yellow starter wire from the other small solenoid terminal to the (+) R terminal of the coil (yellow, I think). Do I just remove the yellow wire altogether or do I still need to run it to the MSD coil?

2. How are you connecting the ignition terminal on the MSD unit to the key ignition switch?

MSD says that the key ignition should have a wire to 12Volts and another wire connected to the their ignition terminal. Which wire (color) from a 72 cutlass key ignition do I tap into from MSD ignition terminal to make the connection.

I assume trace out the purple wire from the Starter (S Terminal) to the Cutlass ignition switch and tap into it ???

Also, if I use my stock 72 SBO 350 points distributor what wire from the distributor goes to my points terminal on my MSD? will I need a ballast resistor?
Old December 1st, 2011 | 12:56 PM

1. The yellow starter wire is for points systems. It provides a full 12 volts via the starter solenoid when activated by the ignition switch. So the points last longer, when the starter solenoid is not activated, neither is that wire; instead the other wire, a resistor wire (or wire with in-line resistor) that is attached to the same coil terminal will provide power. With HEI or MSD, you no longer want to use the resistor wire at all. you want 12V all the time.

2. I run a wire from the orange lead that would be used for the rheostat on my 1966s accelerator linkage at the firewall, if I had an automatic. This wire on the 66 is the easiest way to find a wire that is 12V hot on crank and when started (both poles of the ignition switch) for the MSD "trigger.". I run the MSD power direcctly from the battery.

3. MSD provides instructions with their boxes. For a 7 series, heavy black goes to battery - or other good ground. Heavy red goes to battery +. Orange goes to coil + and black to coil -. Red goes to ignition key "trigger." Violet and green wires go to the MSD distributor or crank trigger. A stock points type distributor uses the white lead. Brown is for the tachometer.
Old December 1st, 2011 | 01:39 PM
Administrator

Answers in bold.

Originally Posted by yankees
1. When adding an MSD 7 Ignition box how are you wiring it up?

MSD says to wire the ignition box coil terminals + and - straight to my MSD coil. Then what happens to the yellow starter wire from the other small solenoid terminal to the (+) R terminal of the coil (yellow, I think). Do I just remove the yellow wire altogether or do I still need to run it to the MSD coil?

Yes the coil wires come from the box, to the coil.

The yellow wire from your solenoid "I" terminal needs to be connected to the same terminal as the ignition switch 12v if the 12v disappears when you are cranking the engine.

2. How are you connecting the ignition terminal on the MSD unit to the key ignition switch?

MSD says that the key ignition should have a wire to 12Volts and another wire connected to the their ignition terminal. Which wire (color) from a 72 cutlass key ignition do I tap into from MSD ignition terminal to make the connection.

I assume trace out the purple wire from the Starter (S Terminal) to the Cutlass ignition switch and tap into it ???

No leave this wire alone! I covered the "I" terminal above.

Your stock points system has a resistor wire or ballast resistor connected to the coil. It needs to be remaved as the MSD unit requires 12v in run.

Also, if I use my stock 72 SBO 350 points distributor what wire from the distributor goes to my points terminal on my MSD? will I need a ballast resistor?

There is only 1 wire from your distributor that used to be connected to the coil. It will be used as your trigger and now needs to be connected to Pnts terminal on the MSD unit. They supplied a white wire to be spliced to extend it if necessary.
See figure 1

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...%20control.pdf