M & H wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2012, 08:16 AM

M & H wiring questions

Disclaimer: I am NOT bad mouthing M & H and I have NOT yet contacted their tech with these questions. I just like to ask the real world first before I make long distance calls and confuse them with my stupid questions.
My 67 442 has factory gages. It was already converted to hei and the orig engine harness was cut up so I don't know how or if the ballast resistor circuit was part of the engine harness. I got a non-gage harness off ebay and it works but I eventually want to go back to stock distributor (converted to breakerless). I purchased an engine harness for 67 V8 with gages (thru YearOne). It is M&H brand and is a beautiful piece, looks very high quality but I find some pretty big differences to stock harness so here goes questions.
1: The temp sender terminal is for blade type and I have installed a repo nail head type like the original. I know I can change the termnal just checking to make sure this does not mean I have wrong harness.
2: There doesn't appear to be a ballast circuit. It has the yellow/black and a woven cloth covered wire together at coil terminal. Is this cloth wire the tach or is it a resistor wire to replace ballast circuit (if so then where is tach wire)? I have the SM with electrical diagrams but they are non-gage and don't show tach or other gage circuits. (according to M&H web site GM never printed any for gage systems).
3: It is missing the two red wire connection at junction block. I think on original harness a SMALL red goes to volt reg and large red to alt. New harness only has one large brown fusible link wire that appears to change to red and there is a huge red wire at volt reg terminal.
As I said, it is nice harness and a lot neater than original but will it work?

I am considering their one-wire breakerless unit to convert distributor. Has anyone used this? I read several old mag articles on their site showing how easy it is to do with good results. Nowhere does it mention having to disconnect the ballast circuit so I assume it operates like the original points system.
Thanks for any opinions or suggestions?
Old June 13th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by miked
1: The temp sender terminal is for blade type and I have installed a repo nail head type like the original. I know I can change the termnal just checking to make sure this does not mean I have wrong harness.
Actually, the terminals for the spade type and nail type senders are the same. The factory plastic connector body for the nail type sender has a notch in it - the female spade connector inside it slides over the nail sideways. You can change the plastic connector body without changing the terminal on the wire.

Old June 14th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Actually, the terminals for the spade type and nail type senders are the same. The factory plastic connector body for the nail type sender has a notch in it - the female spade connector inside it slides over the nail sideways. You can change the plastic connector body without changing the terminal on the wire.

10-4 on that Joe. Actually that is what I meant, I used wrong terminology. Thanks much!