M&H electric fabricators Points Conversion.

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2012 | 05:14 PM
70 Cutlass SX

M&H electric fabricators Points Conversion.

Hey Guys: I will be using the M&H electric points conversion kit.
http://www.breakerless.com/index.htm
and
http://www.wiringharness.com/

This setup is designed to work with stock coils, has only one wire going to the coil, just like original, and it does not require any change to the resistor wire. (So if you do have to use your old points in an emergency it is a quick swap).

Has anyone else ever used this product?
Old March 12th, 2012 | 06:51 PM

I have heard a lot about these particular conversion units for quite a while. None bad that i heard of. I think it is a pretty easy swap to go back to points. Search "breakerless SE" and several good posts come up.
It uses one wire and it all fits under the cap. I was going to use this but after a while of driving, I could not find an issue it would actually fix. So she still has her points!
Old March 13th, 2012 | 12:27 AM
Registered

That looks like a pretty nice set-up.
I've had a Mallory Unilite points conversion unit in my GTO since '95 and it's never missed a beat. The odds are way better for your car to break down because of ignition point problems so the deal about easily changing it back is sort of "pointless".
I worry about it about as much as I do about any modern electronic ignition system which isn't much. If it breaks you get another one, just carry a spare trigger unit if it's a big worry.
Old March 13th, 2012 | 02:56 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I worry about it about as much as I do about any modern electronic ignition system which isn't much.
BUT, these specialty companies making ten thousand or so units do not have the development, engineering, or manufacturing capabilities of GM or any of the other big companies, and there is no way I'd ever expect them to be as reliable. You also can't just stop by the nearest store an pick up a replacement if it fails.

Having been stranded on the NJ Turnpike on my motorcycle by a reputable aftermarket electronic ignition (and unstranded ten minutes later because I carried spare points, condenser, and test light), I will always carry a spare setup to convert back if I ever use any of these systems.

- Eric
Old March 13th, 2012 | 11:03 AM
70 Cutlass SX

The reason I am considering this is because I do not have any system at the moment. I like the idea of one less maintenance item, but I think if I had a functioning points distributor in place I would not make the switch.
I like the M&H because it only uses the one wire, and the stock coil and resistor wire means I can keep a just spare set of points and a feeling guage in the car for a quick fix.
Old March 13th, 2012 | 11:36 AM
delete

Originally Posted by joesw31
I know of no that has used that ignition set up. M&H does sell quality products. I have seen people use protronix, but I have seen mixed results.

I personally use the old stinger ignition conversion kit. And not long ago I installed this Crane kit in a friends GTO and it worked flawlessly

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CR...1720/?rtype=10
I have the XRi as well and am happy with it. Its got the added bonus of a rev limiter too.
Old March 13th, 2012 | 12:42 PM

How often will you drive the car? Lady has had her set of points for almost 10k miles and still purrs away...
If you do not plan to drive much, and if that is just casual street cruising, save the bucks and stick with points. No electronics to fail without notice for any reason...
Old March 13th, 2012 | 01:59 PM
70 Cutlass SX

Hmmmm between Eric and Rob they do make a good point. I will hopefully put on 3-5000 miles a year.
While points may require a touch once every two years, they do not catostrophically fail.
Electronics do not need the regular maintenance, but if they fail then bugger.

I will have to sleep on this.
Old March 13th, 2012 | 04:50 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I have had a pertronix in my boat for 13-14 years and it has never failed. Granted it does not get near the use a driver does. I don't really remember seeing anybody with problems with pertronix. Rob is giving good advice (as he always does) in that points rarely fail. Put you a cheap set of feeler gauges in so you can gap them at 16 thousandths until you have access to a dwell meter.