lone brown wire by alt

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2007, 01:29 AM

lone brown wire by alt

There is a wire bundle going to something that is mounted on the same bracket with the alternator. It has some sort of linkage going under the air filter. The wire bundle is plugged into that thing and has one lone wire half way down the bundle sticking out. I though it may go to the alt, but when I grounded it the check engine light came on. I looked my Haynes manual but it does not say anything that I can find. Any ideas? Thanks
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:08 AM
Past Administrator

It might be a sending wire for an unused accessory like full insturments. Does you car have full insturments of idiot lights? This is just an idea, hopefully someone can refere to a wiring diagram and let you know for sure. Since the check engine light came on when you grounded it, it probably is a sending wire which needs a ground to operate, if it had a voltage it would have probably blown a fuse. None of the fuses have blown have they?
Old May 16th, 2007, 09:04 AM

I have a full compliment of lights. None of the fuses have blown as far as I can tell.

I went fishing this morning. Darn engin overheated again. Hmmmph.
Old May 16th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ztim
There is a wire bundle going to something that is mounted on the same bracket with the alternator. It has some sort of linkage going under the air filter. The wire bundle is plugged into that thing and has one lone wire half way down the bundle sticking out. I though it may go to the alt, but when I grounded it the check engine light came on. I looked my Haynes manual but it does not say anything that I can find. Any ideas? Thanks
First, what car and what engine. Over the last hundred years or so, Olds used lots of different "sort of linkage" things.

Having said that, what you've described sounds like the cruise control actuator. There should be a four or five wire plug and a vacuum hose going to it and a rod about 5/16" in diameter going to the carb lever. Is that what we're talking about?
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:03 PM

Yes! That's exactly what it looks like. It is also something else that does not work. Ha.. So if the wire coming out of that wire group, could it be causing a light in the dash? I will go outside right now and look for a vacuum hose around there. I'll come back in and let you know what I found. It is 7pm EST.
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM

I'll have to check it out tomorrow. I can take the plastic wrap from around the wires and see where that brown one goes. I will also check out the shape the hoses are in. They look okay as far as I can tell. Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Old(s) Fart

Your cruise control servo should have a four wire plug - green, blue w/white stripe, light blue w/black stripe, and tan. None of these should trigger a dashboard light if grounded.

There is also a brown wire that should go to the alternator. This wire illuminates the "charge" idiot light on the dash if grounded. Sounds like it may not be hooked up properly. In addition to the large wire (or wires) held onto a threaded stud with a nut, your alternator should have a plug with two smaller wires, one red and the other this brown wire. See if that's hooked up properly.
Old May 17th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Past Administrator

I think you hit it on the head Joe, I forgot about that one, also the cruise servo........what's my name? where am I?