Key buzzer

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2015, 09:48 AM

Key buzzer

Just picked up a 68 442 convertible and I'm sure I'll be on here a lot. O.K. here's my first issue. Buzzer goes off when you open drivers door even without key in ignition. Doesn't do it with pass door though. Any ideas?
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:46 AM

Pull the wire off the buzzer/distribution block to disable it.
Old September 21st, 2015, 12:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Fun71
Pull the wire off the buzzer/distribution block to disable it.
Specifically, it's the pink wire with black stripe that plugs into the horn relay.

The 1968 cars have a one-year-only wiring setup for the key buzzer. The ignition switch has a separate set of contacts (called KEY + and KEY -) that are only used for this buzzer. The KEY + contact is connected to the pink/black wire from the horn relay. The KEY - contact is connected to a white wire that goes to the driver's side door switch.

The way the system is supposed to work is that these two contacts in the ignition switch are connected only if the key is in the cylinder. Then, the door jamb switch grounds the wire with the door open, causing the buzzer to go off. If this happens without the key in the cylinder, there must be a short in the ignition switch. Pulling the wire off the horn relay is a short-term fix, but if the ignition switch has funny stuff going on inside, you don't know when something else in the switch will short out. Replace the switch.
Old September 21st, 2015, 06:40 PM

Thanks Joe, Looked under and checked wires, they were in right places although it looks like someone was in there doing something because the switch is wrapped in black tape.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 09:10 AM

Take it out and find out what is going on there. Before it has a problem.

you do know how to get the switch out of the dash panel eh?

pin, remove cylinder, unscrew bezel...
Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:39 PM

That's my plan, thanks, Octania
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:28 AM

Here's my next one: Does any one have a diagram of tic toc tack wiring? Can't really make out pics in assembly manual. Can kind of make out feed and lamp connections but not sure where feed from coil goes.
Old September 23rd, 2015, 08:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kace
Here's my next one: Does any one have a diagram of tic toc tack wiring? Can't really make out pics in assembly manual. Can kind of make out feed and lamp connections but not sure where feed from coil goes.
Page 15-33 in your 1968 Chassis Service Manual. If you are talking about the clock tach, there are only three connections on the back of the pod. There are two threaded studs and one small screw. The screw is the feed for the illumination lights. The threaded stud with a blade terminal is the +12v feed for the clock. The other terminal is the feed for the tach that connects to the negative terminal of the coil. If the stock wiring is in place, this terminal has a wire with an inline fuse holder.
Old October 3rd, 2015, 05:50 PM

Like I said I knew there would be many questions. Previous owner installed a replacement Classic Auto Air a/c on car and removed the a/c relay when wiring it up. Correct me if I'm wrong but shouldn't the thing still be connected through the relay? They had it connected to the hot feed from wiring harness but that made compressor run all the time so I switched to other wire from the control and that makes compressor come on only when a/c control is switched on. I still don't think is right though?
Old October 5th, 2015, 10:12 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Someone hacked things up nicely it sounds like. Get the ignition switch sorted out before it causes more problems. They do become sloppy inside as they age. Consider installing a battery disconnect switch at your battery on the negative terminal so you can isolate battery power when not in use (USA made $30 unit not the $2 one).
The AC does not sound right for sure. If its a new system it should cycle, but only when the switch on the dash is moved to the two right hand settings. It should only get a signal when called for. I don't think the adapted systems have the cycle feature when the defrost is called for? Is anything left of the old system under the hood, e.g. the pump, POA valve etc...? IMO Id contact the Classic Auto Air people for an installation diagram/schematic and instructions. Id imagine the adapted system should pull power from the same connections as the OEM did so the dash controls work. Im just not sure if they use the OEM relay. Where is/was your OEM AC relay located? Passenger fender or other?
Old October 6th, 2015, 03:10 PM

Thanks, Good idea about the disconnect switch, I'll look for one. Getting ignition switch next. All the components were replaced in a/c system so you're right about getting the correct instructions. Looks like a/c relay was on fender.
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:42 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

NAPA sells the good marine quality battery disconnect so will a marine supply house