Interior Lights

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2012 | 08:32 PM

Interior Lights

Ok when I was under the dash I noticed there were no courtesy lights? so before I dig out my SM later tomorrow. How many lights are there in the interior and what lights up in the dash/console?

Thanks
Magna
Old March 28th, 2012 | 08:45 PM

OK...off the top of my head the instrument pods should all light up. One above the headlight switch. One above the wiper switch. Two over the heater control. Then there should be two (or is that three?) that are bulbs clipped into holes in the bottom of the metal dash that shine toward the floorboard.

Then the console will have the shifter selector lit up and one in the storage compartment.

There should be a dome light in the center of the headliner and some cars have lights in the rear sail panel.

If I missed any other members will have to chime in

John
Old March 29th, 2012 | 03:33 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I am not familiar with the features at every Olds trim level, but I believe that at the lower levels, the under-dash lights were optional, and part of the "courtesy" or "lighting" package.

- Eric
Old March 29th, 2012 | 05:14 AM

Most were in the "mirrors and lamps" package, optional on hardtops but standard in verts (most likely since they could not get a regular dome light).
Standard lighting would be a dome light and the gauge lights (and one in the radio if there was one).

The L&M pkg added headlight switch light, floodlights for the wiper, cruise, and A/C controls, lights for ash tray, glove box, underhood, trunk, and front footwells. Also a maplight on the dash and in the mirror, along with vanity mirror on right front.
Did hardtops get rear quarter courtesy lights? I thought so but not sure.
Old March 29th, 2012 | 11:11 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Most were in the "mirrors and lamps" package, optional on hardtops but standard in verts (most likely since they could not get a regular dome light).
Standard lighting would be a dome light and the gauge lights (and one in the radio if there was one).

The L&M pkg added headlight switch light, floodlights for the wiper, cruise, and A/C controls, lights for ash tray, glove box, underhood, trunk, and front footwells. Also a maplight on the dash and in the mirror, along with vanity mirror on right front.

It looks like my car has part of that package anyhow , not sure about the ashtray but have the one for the mirror , and under or behind every switch and dial . I will have to do some investigation on the matter. I also have the footlights , under the hood ( don't work ) , in the glove ( don't work ) .

Last edited by oldsguybry; March 29th, 2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old March 29th, 2012 | 11:43 AM

Under hood lamp, 2 lamps over wiper switch/cruise switch/conv.top switch, 2 instead of one light over AC controls, one light to the right of radio, glove box light, mirror map light, passenger side visor mirror, driver & passenger side footwell lights, trunk light, ash tray light, very small light over headlight switch. Console has the shifter indicator light, console storage light and rear footwell.
If you had a supreme coupe, 2 more in C pillar.
Old March 29th, 2012 | 06:27 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Rob- What's the L&M stand for?
Old March 29th, 2012 | 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by shimmer
Rob- What's the L&M stand for?
Lamps and mirrors. Sorry, I was getting lazy...
Old March 29th, 2012 | 07:38 PM

My '71 has all the instrument lighting mentioned, the dome light, a light in the rear bottom of the console (also shines inside console box when lid is opened), trunk light and underhood light but also NO lights under the dash by the kickpanels.
Old March 29th, 2012 | 09:17 PM

Well was crawling around the car today and my car has the basic lighting package. I'm missing the trunk light be see the connector. Have to see if a hood light connector is up front somewhere. So have gauges/one over a/c controls/dome/console rear and console GB light missing and shift indicator. Now I discovered today that my indicator doesnt work but if I open my console it light up the indicator? If I turn on the headlight switch it turns off? WTF?
Old March 30th, 2012 | 03:11 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Lamps and mirrors. Sorry, I was getting lazy...
And here I thought it meant left and middle
Old March 30th, 2012 | 03:29 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

And here I thought it meant left and middle
Liggett and Myers.

- Eric
Old March 30th, 2012 | 03:33 AM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Liggett and Myers.

- Eric
That's exactly what I originally thought! My dad smoked those!
Old March 30th, 2012 | 07:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

My dad smoked those!
HA! So did mine!

Good thing he quit over 30 years ago - he's still around to work on cars with!

- Eric
Old March 30th, 2012 | 08:11 PM
Formerly "Shimmer"

Originally Posted by MDchanic
HA! So did mine!

Good thing he quit over 30 years ago - he's still around to work on cars with!

- Eric
That's great!!!!