Instrument Panel Fuse Keeps Blowing

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2015, 02:51 PM

Thumbs down Instrument Panel Fuse Keeps Blowing

I have a 1991 Olds Cutlass Calais International Series coupe with 73k on it. Last week I turned on my headlights and my dash lights and fog lights weren't working. I checked the IP light fuse (5 amp) and it was blown. I replaced it and again it blew. I have a spare headlight switch so I replaced that, blew the fuse. I dropped the overhead console and disconnected the fog light switch, replaced the fuse, and it worked. I left the fog light switch unplugged and reinstalled the console. The next morning I got in the car and started it, turned on the headlights, and the fuse blew. Does anyone have any thoughts on this???
Old December 2nd, 2015, 02:53 PM

What is throwing me off is the fog lights going out with the instrument lights. I doesn't make sense to me, they are on different circuits I thought.
Old December 4th, 2015, 08:51 PM

Has your stereo unit been replaced recently? It is not uncommon when replacing the stereo to mistake the gray wire for a ground wire. The gray wire is part of the dash light circuit and if grounded will blow the fuse. Just a thought.
Old December 4th, 2015, 09:12 PM

It is an aftermarket radio, but it has been in the car for a couple of years. I plan on pulling the radio this weekend, the dimmer wire is wired into it and it had crossed my mind that that might be the issue. Thanks for your input, you have motivated me to check it out.