I Need the Masters!

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2010 | 05:17 PM

I Need the Masters!

I have a 96 Aurora that was just fine until I lost the alt. After replacing it, I have a flashing airbag light and a Service Vehicle Soon message that just continues to come on. All the systems in the car seem to work except the Fog Lights and the Cruise??????? BCM?
Old January 5th, 2010 | 06:44 PM

Did you unhook the battery to change the alternator? You might need to reset the ECU. With some vehicles it can be done by turning the key on and off in a specific sequence. Other cars you have to reset it with a scanner.
Old January 5th, 2010 | 07:18 PM

I Need the Masters!

Autozone can also reset your codes. Hopefully, all it is are codes that were thrown as a result of the bad alt and they just need to be reset.
Old January 5th, 2010 | 07:44 PM

You might try unhooking the battery for a few minutes, especially if you didn't when you changed the alternator. I freaked out the air bag system in a Volvo I used to own by unplugging the heater controls to change a dash light with the battery hooked up.
Old January 6th, 2010 | 07:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Mingus
You might try unhooking the battery for a few minutes, especially if you didn't when you changed the alternator.
Try it but don't expect much. OBD II computers have non-volatile memory. You need to physically erase stored codes with a scan tool.
Old January 6th, 2010 | 04:52 PM

I did disconnect the battery prior to changing out the alternator. The entire electrical system got a shock I think when the system went out. I suspect an internal short in the alternator because when I disconnected the battery it threw a very visible spark through the negitive cable. I would guess that didn't do the fragile systems in the Aurora any good. After the alternator was changed that problem went away. The service manual isn't much help, but the last advice I received said the problems this is exibiting may be BSM (body sensor module). I picked one up and will install tonight. Man I could have pulled and replaced the entire electrical system in my 67 442 by now and it would have worked! AHHH Progress! I will let you guys know what I run into. Anyother info you have will be of value! Thanks in advance.
Old January 7th, 2010 | 08:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 44TEETWO
...I suspect an internal short in the alternator because when I disconnected the battery it threw a very visible spark through the negitive cable....
That could have been due to something as simple as a dome light being on.