HELP!!!!!!!!!! Voltage regulator?

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2009, 08:17 PM

HELP!!!!!!!!!! Voltage regulator?

i DON'T KNOW WHY BUT I AM STILL RESTRICTED TO THE NEWBIE FORUM..SOMEONE APPROVE ME!! hERE IS MY QUESTION.... mY VOLTAGE REGULATOR CLICKS WHENEVER IT HOOKUP THE GROUND CABLE TO MY BATTERY POST, WHICH MEANS i ALSO HAVE A POWER DRAIN SOMEWHERE. NEXT I AM TRYING TO PUT IN A NEW STEREO IN MY 72 OLDS CUTLASS SUPREME BUT MY YELLOW ACC WIRE IS ALWAYS HOT. IT IS HOT AT THE FUSE PANEL AS WELL. COULD i JUST HAVE A BAD VOLTAGE REGULATOR OR IS THIS A MULTITUDE OF PROBLEMS? ALSO WHEN BATT IS HOOKED UP THE ALTERNOTOR LIGHT IS ON AND STAYS ON.. sOMEONE PLEASE HELP WITH THIS. AND LET ME GO TO THE NEW FORUMS!!

THANKS, JAMIE

jcs2373@gmail.com
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Smile Hot hot hot

The brown wire from the ignition switch puts power on the radio fuse (yellow wire) You should investigate any possibilty of a short cct around the switch, try to get a chassis manual if you intend on keeping the car for a while.. and someone else said about checking under the hood, behind the brake booster, a wire for the under hood light or other unused cct. might be pinched in between the sheet metal causing your other drain problem...
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Past Administrator

Jamie,
You are not restricted if you are a registered user. Are you reading the notice at the top of the new members forum which uses the word "you" in the generic sense, not the personal sense referring to you. Just post in a different forum, I think you will find you are not restricted.
Old July 10th, 2009, 05:12 AM

Is the GEN light on bright or kinda dim?
If dim, I would search for a short from the accessory switched 12V circuit to the nonswitched 12V.
Look for hacked up wiring a previous owner might have done when putting in aftermarket equipment. The ignition switch could be culprit...

See if this wiring diagram will help you...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...html#post65982

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; July 10th, 2009 at 05:15 AM.
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:09 AM

Gen light is bright..also voltage reg gets hot when the batt is just hooked up. when I put a testlight on the yellow radio wire.it is always hot, but when it is in the actual acc position it gets a tad brighter. I have had the car for about 8 years and am almost done..well your never really done
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM

Also,how do I post pictures? i will have to check that under hood light for a drain but it seems like to big a spark for that little of a wire..and what about the clicking in the voltage regulator..Thanks you guys..couldn't do it without ya!!!
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:35 AM

I moved this to ELECTRICAL section, since you have graduated out of the Newbie section.

If the hood lamp wire is shorted, you would be blowing fuses when the lights are turned on.

With engine OFF, I would disconnect the regulator and see if things return to normal. Do NOT start or run engine with the reg unplugged!
--- If no change, I would look for hacked wiring and shorts I mentioned earlier.
Have you looked up under the dash and behind the intrument clusters for rodent damage (if the car has been sitting a while)?

--- If things act right, then the reg (or maybe the alt) has a problem.
If you get an new regulator, get an electronic one. They make them that look, mount, and plug in just like the original. Should be available at most parts stores.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; July 10th, 2009 at 07:51 AM.
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:15 AM

electrical

unplugged the regulaotr the yellow wire only gets hot now in the ign position. Still have the tinyest spark when I connect power to the battery. i have looked under the dash and have gone through most of the mess..it really wasn't that bad so i don't think it is a short the only think butchered was the actually plug for the radio and that is out now. And the alternator is brand spanking new maybe ign switch?
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM

That tiny spark could be capacitors charging in any electronic items on the car. Also there are factory noise supression caps that can do that.
If you have a handheld ammeter/multimeter available to check current draw, that would be helpful.

Does the radio lead get power in the ACC ignition switch position also(turning key CCW)? It should. Everything normal when the key is off and removed? Was the car running okay with the new alternator?
If 'yes' to everything above, then I would try a new regulator (electronic if you find one).
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM

well

well i put a new ign switch in and a new regulator in. My alternator appears to be charging now but the light stays on even with key ok it does go off when the car runs though .i just pulled the bulb. i put aftermarket gauges in so i will know if i am charging or not..my acc is still hot all the time ..im just gonna go with it and hook it up and turn radio off by the button ewll see if just leaving it alone drains the battery..thanks everybody
Old July 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM

how do I get a picture of my car to appear in the messages thanks!
Old July 10th, 2009, 02:10 PM

When you reply make sure you are in “Advanced” If it says post a “Quick reply” hit “Advanced”

Scroll down below the box you type in and hit “ Manage Attachments” A new box will pop up.

Hit “Browse”

The hit “Upload” and wait a few secs for the pics to up load. Then close this box.
Next you can hit “Preview Post and your pictures should be there.

There is a size limit on pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Linda_Promo_01.jpg (63.7 KB, 25 views)
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1BadLass
well i put a new ign switch in and a new regulator in. My alternator appears to be charging now but the light stays on even with key ok it does go off when the car runs though .i just pulled the bulb. i put aftermarket gauges in so i will know if i am charging or not..my acc is still hot all the time ..im just gonna go with it and hook it up and turn radio off by the button ewll see if just leaving it alone drains the battery..thanks everybody
This bugs me... What is wrong here??? The acc circuit should not stay hot all the time.

Does this car have a rear defroster?
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
...Next you can hit “Preview Post and your pictures should be there.....There is a size limit on pics
Jamesbo you old fart! Where did you get that picture of my mom with her hair all done up? Haven't seen that one for years, espcially resting on her two hood things...
Old July 10th, 2009, 08:12 PM

Jeff Meister shared it with me.

He's the Guru of 69 H/O pics

http://www.jeffmeister.com/1969hurst/
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:54 PM

It bugs me too

Yep it is just staying hot.. and I can't figure it out for the life of me..i considered myself pretty handy with a test light untill this..new ign new regulator new alternator..it is hot at the fuse panel too..i wonder if i can just power tothe radio on and off by the button, and if i leave the car for a period of time remove the face plate..i just wonder if the remote signal wire will keep my amp on all the time though..I guess i will find out tommorow
i have some cool videos on my face book if any one wants to check them out

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...?of=1428498116
Attached Images
New hotrod pictuyres 005.jpg (66.2 KB, 10 views)
Old July 10th, 2009, 09:55 PM

wiring

and no rear defroster either
Old July 10th, 2009, 10:37 PM

when all else fails read a book

I read over my manual and it says if the gen light is on with ign off then it is a short between #3 &#4 (top two) wires going to the regulator.. from the picture it looks like this may tie into the accessory wire that is always staying hot..looks like i have some searching to do..i'll let everyone know what I find
Jamie
Attached Images
Newpaint 022.jpg (49.8 KB, 6 views)
Old July 11th, 2009, 09:26 AM

IF the accesory circuit works like it should when the regulator is unplugged while the engine is off, I might suspect a shorted rectifier diode in the alternator. I have heard of new alts that were in fact partially bad...

Do you have an ohmmeter? If so, disconnect the battery and ohm between the big red wire and the white stator wire on the alternator. If just a few ohms, that could indicate a short.