Going crazy with gauges!!

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2010, 02:54 PM

Question Going crazy with gauges!!

1971 olds cutlass

Last edited by MHENDERSON; January 13th, 2011 at 06:13 AM. Reason: all fixed
Old December 8th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Should be bulb #1445 - same as ashtray light, console, etc.. Page 12-63 of the 70 Olds Chassis service manual lists all light bulbs. I am having same problem with my gauge lights not working - trying to figure it out, but have not yet tried a new light switch. Someone also suggested to check the obvious - that the fuses are good and no corrosion on ends that could be affecting current.
Old December 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Registered

The switch isn't rotated to the dash lamps off position is it?
Who knows?
A few guys here weren't able to figure out how to turn off their dome lights because the headlight switch was rotated to the dome light on position and they didn't know it did that.
I've never done anything like that.
THE CSM shows a dark green wire going from the switch to the fuse panel fuse and then a gray wire from there to the instrument panel connector. If you jumped it and nothing lights maybe it's the fuse, connection, bad ground, bad bulbs?
I'm no wiring guy, maybe the resident sparky Rob will chime in.
The headlight switch light is the #1445 bulb in a socket on a collar that goes over the switch shaft to hold it between the switch and the dash. It shines through a little hole in the switch escutcheon to light the switch up...a little.
It seems like it's not too easy to get to IIRC?
I couldn't believe that the lower instrument panel lighting was an option in my Vista, other models too I would guess.
I put the instrument panel floodlights in along with courtesy lights and headlight switch light.
That blue glow is cool.
Old December 9th, 2010, 06:08 AM

When lights are turned on, voltage gets applied to dark green wire coming off light switch. Gark green wire goes to one side of 4A INST LPS fuse, then gray wire comes from other side of fuse and then feeds the dash lights.

Have a voltmeter or test light? You need one now.
Measure from both sides of the little INST LPS fuse to ground and let me know what you get with the parking lights turned on.
If you get 12V or a light on either, then the headlight switch is good. If you get 12 or light on one side of the fuse but not the other, fuse is bad or fuse clip may be bad or have broken wire. If you get 12V or a light on both sides, you might have all bad bulbs (unlikely but not impossible) or a break in the gray wire after it comes off the fuse block. Look around under your dash at the gray wire and see if it was cut or pinched or so. Might a previous owner cut a bunch of wires to install a radio or such??