Fuse box Fun!!

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2008, 07:56 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Fuse box Fun!!

I have a 72 cutlass hackjob that I am trying tp put together. After 2 weeks of battling the uncooperative weather, and rats nests of old wires, I got a really nice 71 non-a/c floor shifter harness into the car. Hooked up the battery, and it was dead. No lights, no nothing. After a few tears and curse words, and pulling the fusebox apart, the first of hopefully few curveballs made itself obvious. The main power line (thick red wire) from the engine harness was feeding into a blank slot on the new harness, thus, car wasn't getting any power. My question is this....being this is my first venture into something like this, is it common to have to "re-map" the wires in the fusebox to line up? Stupid me thought that everything would be where it should, and I would be cruising around in no time. But NO! I am trying to clean this poor car up as much as I can, so I want to make the wiring as kosher as possible, including taking out all of the ex-a/c wires that are left swaying in the engine bay, so is having to rearrange the fusebox cool? Or should I break down and start all over with matching harnesses all around? Any help would be great! Thanks for listening to my post-electrical installation grief.
Old April 6th, 2008, 08:01 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Just to be alittle more clear, the car was an orignal column/A/c car that was converted into a non-a/c floor shifter. The harness that I put in was from a like car....non-a/c floor shifter. It was from a 71 i was told, but I didnt think that would make much difference. I guess I know now!
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM

To cut, or not to cut is the question ? I am in the same boat, per say. I believe I will hide the A/C wires, not cut. And remaping is a good idea if you can make it work. They do sell a Wire Map on eBay for $18 + shipping, if that will help. I was thinking about running a trick starter switch through the fuse box untill I looked at it close. I think I will run it through a hole in the fire wall and hide it in the loome. I hope this helps. I often try to make it nice, but it seams to always trun out worse. lol
Old May 14th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Past Administrator

You both need to get yourself a good factory service manual with the wiring diagram. It will help you do your job so much.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:23 PM

I have a 1972 Cutlass Assembly Manual, but not a lot of wiring diagrams in it. And nothing with wiring color in it. It showes the basics, and it was a big help getting the dash off. Any body got a wiring harness for a 72 ?
Old May 15th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

I learned the hard way that the wire locations in the fuse box/firewall connector did change from year to year. I used a 1970 engine and fwd lamp harness on my 69 442 and many of the wires were swapped around in the connector. I had to remove them and reinstall them in the correct locations for a 69. You need the Chassis Service Manual, not the assembly manual, for this info.
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:52 AM

www.ClassicCarWiring.com has a color coded wring map. A couple of the wires have been off, but over all worth the $20. My original was worse then first thought. Many wire were cut, or melted. I have since redone a complete fuse box out of another year ($25), and matched it to 72' with the help of the old wiring harness, and the color map. Now everything will be ran through the junction box and not the firewall holes, except the A/C wires that do not go through the junction.
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by hamm36
www.ClassicCarWiring.com has a color coded wring map. A couple of the wires have been off, but over all worth the $20...
I'm happy you got what you needed, but for the same $20 you can buy a used original Chassis Service Manual that has a color wiring diagram (with NONE of the wires "off") and everything else you need to know to fix your car.
Old July 5th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I learned the hard way that the wire locations in the fuse box/firewall connector did change from year to year. I used a 1970 engine and fwd lamp harness on my 69 442 and many of the wires were swapped around in the connector. I had to remove them and reinstall them in the correct locations for a 69. You need the Chassis Service Manual, not the assembly manual, for this info.
Where does one go to get a Chassis Service Manual, Joe?
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:03 PM

finding a manual

Originally Posted by Omicron
sorry if this screws up, new to tech. I would look on ebay or possibly look in amazon.com I have seen repops of build manuals on ebay, but have yet to purchase one so quality is unverified.
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:01 PM

ive had alot more luck just swapping in a blade fuse block into these older cars, it tends to take a while longer to do, plus the frustration factor.but in the end it seems to be a much more user friendly setup
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:27 PM
442=A perfect 10

I guess I'll jump in....you can find them on eBay, Hemmings Motor News and I think Year One or Fusick might still sell them.

Regards,

Fred
Old July 6th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

I find mine at swap meets, but I just did a search on ebay for service manual olds* 1972 and one came up, though it is apparently a repro and EXTREMELY expensive. You need to keep looking, as I see originals for $20-30 regularly. Set up a search and check it every few days. If you can't wait, try automotive literature vendors.
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

All the repop service chassis manuals for 1972 Olds I've seen are about 80 bucks plus shipping. That''s pricey.

If the manual doesn't have to be show quality (and I'm thinking that it doesn't) Joe is right on the money. One thing I don't know, and maybe someone else does, I think you can use the same wiring schematic for 1970-1972 because there was not much change in those years. If that's right, you can expand your search to include those model year chassis service manuals.

And here's one more thing that most of us car guys overlook. Does your local library have any archive car stuff they want to get rid of? I got a "Brand spanking new" Body service manual this way for less than 20 bucks!!
Allan R
Old July 6th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
...One thing I don't know, and maybe someone else does, I think you can use the same wiring schematic for 1970-1972 because there was not much change in those years. If that's right, you can expand your search to include those model year chassis service manuals...
There's no guarantee of that unless you do a side-by-side comparison. I know from personal experience that 1969 and 1970 wire harnesses are different. The wire assignments at the firewall connector are in different holes. I needed to remove and reinstall many of the wires to use the 70 harness on a 69.