Fitted Ignitor II ... Engine will not shut down!!

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2015, 12:33 PM

Fitted Ignitor II ... Engine will not shut down!!

I have fitted Pertronix Ignitor to my 1964 Olds 98, which was easy. I made a simpel install with a powerrelay, to keep org wiring intact, and to get full fused 12V to both the Flamethrower coil and the Ignitor.

The engine start and run, no issues there... BUT, it will not shut down, when I turn the ign key to "0" !!!

Having looked at the wiring diagram, and read a few thread about other carbrand, I understand the installation suffers from draw back (is it the correct word?) most likely via the GEN lamp. If I remove the GEN bulp, the engine will stop, and start, stop and start as much as I like. Refit the bulp... Problem is back!
I read that its easy solved with a one way diode, which I tried to fit to the GEN lamp wire, going from the ext regulator to lamp, but without luck. I do not see what I do wrong, with this very simple install.

Do any of you experienced Olds people have some expert suggestions, to solve this very very annoying problem.

Thanks

Last edited by Jandk; August 11th, 2015 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Missed car model/year
Old August 11th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jandk
I have fitted Pertronix Ignitor, which was easy. I made a simpel install with a powerrelay, to keep org wiring intact, and to get full fused 12V to both the Flamethrower coil and the Ignitor.

The engine start and run, no issues there... BUT, it will not shut down, when I turn the ign key to "0" !!!

Having looked at the wiring diagram, and read a few thread about other carbrand, I understand the installation suffers from draw back (is it the correct word?) most likely via the GEN lamp. If I remove the GEN bulp, the engine will stop, and start, stop and start as much as I like. Refit the bulp... Problem is back!
I read that its easy solved with a one way diode, which I tried to fit to the GEN lamp wire, going from the ext regulator to lamp, but without luck. I do not see what I do wrong, with this very simple install.

Do any of you experienced Olds people have some expert suggestions, to solve this very very annoying problem.

Thanks
Let's start with the year and model of the car and a diagram of how you wired this relay. Hard to help without knowing that.
Old August 11th, 2015, 01:16 PM

Ah.. I missed when uploading the text, because of the time it took writing.. Sorry
Old August 11th, 2015, 01:28 PM

The START and RUN wire from original coil fitted to coil on relay as trigger. (Relay is ofcause grounded). Fused 12V from battery through relay to FlameThrower coil + to Ignitor red wire, and at last Ignitor black wire to coil -.

How does that sound?
Old August 12th, 2015, 09:24 AM

Anyone??
Old August 12th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Administrator

You have to find the reason why you have 12v to your coil + with the key off. The diode is direction specific (polarized) So if you installed it backwards you will still have the same issue.
Old August 12th, 2015, 10:00 AM

So far I understand. And I did try to turn the diode around. Its a 200V 36W diode the electronic guy said.

I am qurious about where the diode be fitted, from your experience/understanding.
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:10 PM

I am not exactly proud to tell, that I found the fault my self, very recently!

I simply confused brown from black when looking at these old wires, in bad lighting, and I even went to and from the "project" 3 times, and cross checked a few times.

Sorry to have troubled you..

Thanks
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jandk
I am not exactly proud to tell, that I found the fault my self, very recently!

I simply confused brown from black when looking at these old wires, in bad lighting, and I even went to and from the "project" 3 times, and cross checked a few times.

Sorry to have troubled you..

Thanks
Glad you found it, but this is exactly why I asked for a schematic of how you wired it.
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:49 PM
Administrator

X2, Diodes are not usually required with a Pertronix but I'm always willing to learn something new. My thought was it was wired wrong.
Old August 13th, 2015, 01:04 PM

The Pertronix was wired correct (very easy), but the diode was spliced in the ign switch to regulator wire (black in my case), but should be spliced in to regulator to GEN lamp wire (brown in my case), both fitted to terminal 4 on the regulator, on GM cars according to instructions from various brand of breakerless systems.

Put my self togehter, had another cup of coffee, had a firth look at the install, and moved the diode.. Job done! An upgrade that my car needed, I can feel it massively as in speederrespons.