electric starters on carburated motors

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2012 | 08:22 PM

electric starters on carburated motors

hey does anybody know if you can hook an electric starter to these old model cars i seen a guy hook one to a 72 caprice and he used something called a throttle kicker, this for cold mornings somehow he had it hooked to the ecselerator cable and from a control he could pump the gas (3) times before cranking it. now im intrested in buying one but im not sure if it will work considering i dont have electric locks btu i am gonna install an electric trunk lock,so if there is anyone out there that can answer this question or maybe even give me a few pointers on how to install it please let me know.
Old May 2nd, 2012 | 11:26 AM
Administrator

Are you talking about a remote start?
Old May 3rd, 2012 | 09:46 PM

yeah thats it a remote starter i have sen 1 called a bulldog starter and im intrested in buying 1 but i dont have the 1st idean about hooking it up and futher more im not sure it will work like i said i seen a guy on you tube hooked one to a 72 caprice and he used something called a throttle kicker so he could pump the gas before starting the car im trying to get all the directions i can before i purchase it so i will have an idea on how to hook it up so if anyone has any tips that they would like to share please let me know.
Old May 4th, 2012 | 03:04 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why would you want to do that?

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2012 | 10:19 AM
Administrator

Remote start on a carburated motor is really difficult. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's a PIA.
Old May 4th, 2012 | 10:49 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Why would you want to do that?
X2. BTW when he posted 'electric starters' for his car, it got me to wondering if someone hadn't slipped him an old hand crank/magneto car.....
Originally Posted by spyke
btu i am gonna install an electric trunk lock,so if there is anyone out there that can answer this question or maybe even give me a few pointers on how to install it please let me know.
I would NOT trust a remote start on a carb car. Heck half the fun of starting it is going out, kicking the gas down and turning the key. Besides, if your car isn't tuned just right there's a good chance you'll just flood it with those 3 throttle kicks. Or the other side of the coin: what happens if the choke malfunctions? You have to 'feel' a carb car when you start it. Anyway, that's my 2¥ worth.

Electric trunk release is not a big deal. The wiring connector is already behind the glove box so you don't need to run another power feed. All you'll need is the release button, wire and trunk solenoid. Here's a 'how to' link that's pretty decent. Don't worry that it's for Skylark, all the GM A bodies of this era are basically the same in lots of areas.
http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/pwrtrunk.htm
Old May 4th, 2012 | 10:51 AM

I went one step further, i bought carb with the manual choke.

My cutlass fired up in -15 montreal blizzard! And my buddy's 2012 chevy wouldn't kick over, bahhahahaa.

I have picture proof if anyone is interested.
Old May 4th, 2012 | 11:51 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
My cutlass fired up in -15 montreal blizzard! And my buddy's 2012 chevy wouldn't kick over, bahhahahaa.
What? Proof that an Olds will start when a Chebby won't? Tony you're preachin to the choir.....

With a manual choke though - no way in heck you should install a remote starter.
Old May 4th, 2012 | 04:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Eh. When I drove a '68 88 455 as a daily driver, I had no problems starting and driving it on a couple of days when it was -20°F (-30°C). I had to keep scraping the ice off of the insides of the windows so I could see.

These cars were designed to run in all conditions without being babied.

- Eric
Old May 4th, 2012 | 10:15 PM

well like i said i was thinking about it its no big deal i just thought it would be kinda cool to able to start the car up from inside the house,i have already hooked up the trunk lock it was really simple. i would like to know something very serious though in the morning i dont have to pump the gas to start my i crank it, it idles slowly til it heats up and thats cool BUTsometimes when i go from 1 place to another and the car runs about 195 degrees instead of it cranking right up it turns for a second or 2 then cranks what is that? why doesnt it do like it does in the morning just crank on the first turn? i fres point new wires and plugs and a fresh distributor cap.
Old May 5th, 2012 | 06:20 AM
Administrator

Your choke may be set wrong, needs tuneup, carb out of adjustment, etc...If you push down on the gas about 1/4 way when you go to start it when its warm, not pump it, then turn the key, it will start right up.