driver side door switch

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2019 | 03:12 PM

Question driver side door switch

Hello,

working on electrical interior lights, just assembled the center console and can see that the passenger side door switch does light up the center console courtesy light, and sends current to the dome light also. but the driver side door switch is missing, i found the round connection with 3 prongs inside the wall, and i can see there's 12V coming out of one of the prongs. I added jumper to the 12V prong and hit the other 2 prongs with jumper but no light? does the wire go to another connection along the way indie the dashboard and where is it?

pictures..

thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6805.JPG (1.07 MB, 20 views)
door switch 001.jpg (174.2 KB, 25 views)
Old October 25th, 2019 | 03:45 PM
Running On Empty

LH Door Key Buzzer & Dome Lamp Jam Switch. Read your CSM Wiring Diagram.
Old October 25th, 2019 | 04:22 PM
Running On Empty

Here are some diagrams from the 1970 Factory Assembly Manual which might be useful.
NOTE: One of the diagrams is for the Console Wire Routing. GL

Old October 25th, 2019 | 04:32 PM
Running On Empty

I like wiring diagrams of the type when they're folded into a manual they're small but then when unfolded they're about 4' x 4'. Since the wiring diagrams aren't 4' x 4', I use one of these to read them. There are other types, but use one if you don't have one already. Makes life easier.

Old October 25th, 2019 | 05:28 PM

Thumbs up Thank You Norn

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I like wiring diagrams of the type when they're folded into a manual they're small but then when unfolded they're about 4' x 4'. Since the wiring diagrams aren't 4' x 4', I use one of these to read them. There are other types, but use one if you don't have one already. Makes life easier.

Those are Better than the CSM. Thank You very much to you and Nick Olds Parts guy.
Old October 25th, 2019 | 05:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I use one of these to read them. There are other types, but use one if you don't have one already. Makes life easier.

And I thought I was the only one
Mine is lighted.

As for the switch, there is no power feed to that switch. The 12V you are seeing is coming through the dome light circuit. This is the problem with using a low impedance VOM as opposed to a test light. The test light would only light dimly if at all and the dome light would come on as well. The switch grounds all those terminals when you open the door. Ground the white wire in that connector and dome light will come on. Ground the purple wire with the key in the ignition and the key buzzer will sound.
Old October 25th, 2019 | 05:32 PM

Talking Norm i need Magnifier and Light.. LOL

Originally Posted by Hondo
Those are Better than the CSM. Thank You very much to you and Nick Olds Parts guy.
Old October 25th, 2019 | 05:48 PM
Running On Empty

Those are Better than the CSM.
Except the CSM demonstrates the color code of each wire, gauge of each wire, power source of each wire & ground(s). Once you get your head wrapped around reading wiring diagrams (and the CSM diagrams are far more simple to read than electrical schematics), you'll soon find yourself successfully tackling vehicle wiring. You should quickly learn these wire colors relative to KEY ON & KEY OFF position: Grey, Yellow, Orange, Purple, White & Brown. GL
Old October 25th, 2019 | 06:20 PM

Question Joe Padavano, what I remember and will check domani

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
And I thought I was the only one
Mine is lighted.

As for the switch, there is no power feed to that switch. The 12V you are seeing is coming through the dome light circuit. This is the problem with using a low impedance VOM as opposed to a test light. The test light would only light dimly if at all and the dome light would come on as well. The switch grounds all those terminals when you open the door. Ground the white wire in that connector and dome light will come on. Ground the purple wire with the key in the ignition and the key buzzer will sound.
Joe What I saw was the white stripped wire is HOT and the white one is also HOT. the black is got nothing. Your saying PURPLE to Ground, I don't see purple?

1) If i jump the black and white nothing lights

2) If I jump stripped white and Black Nothing lights

3) if i jump all 3 nothing happens? pictures below.

thank You.

P.S. I just ordered the two courtesy lamps under Dashboard, the driver side and passenger side from Nick442 NJ.

maybe something will kick on..??
Attached Images
IMG_6814.JPG (1,021.8 KB, 13 views)
IMG_6811.JPG (1.61 MB, 11 views)
Old October 25th, 2019 | 06:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

Joe What I saw was the white stripped wire is HOT and the white one is also HOT. the black is got nothing. Your saying PURPLE to Ground, I don't see purple?

1) If i jump the black and white nothing lights

2) If I jump stripped white and Black Nothing lights

3) if i jump all 3 nothing happens? pictures below.

thank You.

P.S. I just ordered the two courtesy lamps under Dashboard, the driver side and passenger side from Nick442 NJ.

maybe something will kick on..??
Of course they are hot. The other end of the dome light is connected to +12v. All three of those wires are on the ground side of the circuit. The black wire is for the key buzzer. There will be nothing on it without the key in the ignition to close the switch. The white wire is the dome light ground. The white with black stripe is the courtesy light ground. Testing for power on these wires is just confusing the issue. Ground the white wire. The dome light will come on. If you don't believe it, open the passenger door first. That will ground the white wire also and if you test the driver side white wire there will be no power on it.
Old October 25th, 2019 | 06:32 PM

The white wire is the ground for the dome light. The white/black tracer is the ground for the console lights. The black wire is the ground for the key buzzer.
Old October 25th, 2019 | 06:44 PM
Running On Empty

Again, read your CSM wiring diagram. I did a search on this forum and I copied the 1970 wiring diagram from another post. You need to read/review the wiring diagram in your CSM to follow Joe's logic here.
NOTE: As Joe stated - all three wires are GROUND. Follow them - they're all GROUND wires. I have put a box around the GROUND wires in RED.
NOTE the colors of the wires in your hand - match them to the wiring diagram. Pay attention to note the colors of the wires EXACTLY as they are described in the wiring diagram.

Old October 25th, 2019 | 06:53 PM
Running On Empty

Which is exactly as per what Matt wrote in his post #11.
Old October 25th, 2019 | 07:09 PM
Administrator

They are not ground wires per say, they are wires that are looking for a switched ground connection to complete a circuit.
Old October 25th, 2019 | 07:12 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
They are not ground wires per say, they are wires that are looking for a switched ground connection to complete a circuit.
You are correct - good point.
Old October 26th, 2019 | 06:21 AM

Thumbs up Joe, Matt, Norm, Eric and Nick

I saw all the post's this morning and went to the car and jumped the door switch to ground and the dome light went ON and middle console light also worked, the only one that did not work was the buzzer, just want to thank you for guiding me in the right direction..

After I had brain surgery this July, I was home thinking about work and maybe future surgeries if the first surgery was not successful. My wife knew, I had to get my mind occupied on a hobby, because I am a worrier. She had to see what hobby I could get into, so that she could watch and make sure I was healing with out getting hurt, and not far from the house. but she didn't know on what kind of hobby yet. I watched a lot of TV, but after watching Mike Hall Rust Valley Restorers and was thinking I would love to do that, especially to find my family's first model car in America (1970 Olds Rallye 350). first my dad drove it, then my brother for college, and then my sister, and then it was passed to me. That’s how Italians do it, things get passed down to the youngest, clothing/furniture/etc and yes sometimes cars if they last that long. By the time it got to me, I was working in a gas station down the street from our house at 12 years old pumping gas and wiping windshield. I remember bringing it in and put in up on the lift and cleaned it up, tune ups, oil changes even if it didn't need it. And I remembered how easy it was do fix it, like water pump, radiator, starter etc.. told my wife I would love to buy a 1970 Olds Rallye that needed some small work but not too much work, and fix it up. So I started looking for anything that was 100 miles from us. Found one in Georgia, the guy had inherited a bunch of 40’s 50’s 60’s and 70’s automobiles (mainly Hot Rods) from his dad. The son started to sell each car one at a time, one of the cars was a 1970 Olds Rallye. His dad had taken many of these cars apart, and was on the process of putting them all back, together again one day, but sometimes your plans get changed, he passed away and left a barn full of cars, some apart and some ready to go to his son. I went to see the car twice having brain surgery you can’t bend forward or the brain fluid might start leaking. Ohh yeah I forgot to say, that the surgery was performed through my nose, so had to be extra careful not to bend down or pick up anything over 5 pounds, had to learn to sleep sitting instead of lying down… I looked at the car as best as I could, it had missing pieces and started remembering what part goes where.. my wife wanted me to purchase the car, so it would keep me occupied on something instead of worrying myself sick about other surgeries and my job. So we brought it home, and I started putting all the parts back on the car, felt like I was in my own little world and everything else didn’t matter. I’m still finding parts that don’t belong to the car and need to send them back, because I would send a picture of something that was missing, and the seller would say ohh yeah that’s on the other cars table, and would send the part to me… When the man that passed away, he had cars apart everywhere not tagged, and in boxes and must have mixed them up with the other cars in the barn. So putting this car back together again bring me back to when I was 10 and use to try to see how it was put together and how it worked. You guys on this web site have helped me tremendously and my health and mental state have been improving at a much faster rate, then I would have sat on the couch not doing anything, plus working on the car has made me proud of myself, the only person who has helped me physically on the car is my wife but you guys have helped me see what has and had to be done to get the car from A to B.. I’m not going to tackle the exhaust system and the AC. The exhaust I could probably handle it but would need a lift, but the AC I’m not 100% sure I could do it. Remember the car has been sitting for a long time and had residents living in it.

Thank you again everyone, Especially Joe, Matt, Norm, Eric, Don and others and my parts guy Nick .

Thank YOU!

I really appreciate you guys helping me out.. and on my recovery. GRAZIE

Last edited by Hondo; October 26th, 2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old October 26th, 2019 | 07:25 AM
Running On Empty

Great story. Thanks for sharing w/ us. Absolute best of luck to you on your new hobby and the best of good fortune managing your personal health. Enjoy your Rallye.
Old October 27th, 2019 | 05:07 AM
Administrator

Wow, that's a story. Kudos to your wife and the rehab, both mind and body and also the car. Keep on keeping on both you and the car are well on your way.