Dress up the alternator

Search this Thread

Old April 26th, 2012, 08:28 PM

Dress up the alternator

Just finished the engine build and since I have the brackets, alternator PS pump and stuff on a shelf and since it's going to be a couple months before the engine goes into the frame I decided that I was going to sexy everything up a bit before final assembly.

Alternators are essentially generators and very simple to rebuild and dress up here is the process of doing it yourself.
First brush off any big dirt and grime off the outside with a brass wire brush I keep a bunch of these from Harbor Freight in my toolbox the brass is good because it's gentle and doesn't leave scratches on everything.

Unbolt the shaft nut by putting the alt. fan in a vise (not too tight) if you have the benefit of an impact it will reduce possibly bending the fan, if you do bend the fan don't worry the metal is soft and easy to bend back into shape.

There is a hole in the back of the rear housing you need to put a paper clip in there to hold the brushes in if you dont they will pop out because they have springs that push them onto the stator if they do no big deal you can put it in when you remove the stater I forgot and took a pic of what it looks like.

Remove the four bolts on the rear of the alt. (you do not have to remove the batt and grd studs. If you remove the batt and grd studs there are fiber washers that need to be slid under the the stud hole in the housing.
The coil will have 3 wires that bolt to the inside mark these with a paint pen or something to help you remember (it's hard to put them into wrong place during reassembly but it can be done).
Remove stater and coil
Disassemby done.

Now clean it good it you have a blasting cabinet BE CAREFUL there is a shaft bearing inside the rear component so extreme taping or further disassembly is required. I only blasted the pulley and fan and used a brass brush on everything else. Wipe everything with acetone or other comparable cleaner.

Paint this is always the most fun part because its when you get to see the first glimpse of your goal. I went for a gold pulley and black housing because the brackets will be black. Don't forget to paint the bolt heads to match your pulleys

Reassemble following the above steps in reverse if you get cluttered and can't figure out what went where you can get a service manual from wildaboutcars.com it has a easy registration requirement but has everything you need for manuals.

Enjoy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0264.jpg (65.2 KB, 23 views)
IMG_0266.jpg (71.1 KB, 22 views)
IMG_0267.jpg (87.5 KB, 21 views)
IMG_0273.jpg (69.6 KB, 21 views)
IMG_0275.jpg (85.1 KB, 17 views)
Old April 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM

Here is the finished alternator I got a little anxious and the paint wasn't completely cured so be patient and you wont discolor the paint when reassembling.
Attached Images
IMG_0278.jpg (83.5 KB, 24 views)
IMG_0279.jpg (83.3 KB, 23 views)