Cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Cooling issues

I have a 1995 Olds Cutlas Ceira, with about 100,000 miles on it.. still looking just as nice as it did rolling-off the showroom floor. I'm proud to own this vehicle, however... as of lately.. it's been running (temp.) pretty high on the gauge.. enough to trip the "service engine" light. I have noticed that the cooling fan is NOT functioning in either the normal operation, or when the A/C is activated (which normally trips the cooling fan). I have checked the fuses in the glove-box, and all appear in good condition. A few months ago, I had the radiator replaced, and have rechecked the anti-freeze level (which was/ is normal).. I need a suggestion for repairing this. The vehicle is equipped with the 3.1L V-6. Thanks for your assitance.
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:00 AM

Wink Cooling fan

Locate the cooling fan relay under hood ground the green wire temporaly that should energize the relay & turn fan on, do this with ign on if fan does not come on & relay clicks check for power at fan motor .If fan does come on replace engine coolant sensor Larry
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If the engine coolant sensor is the problem there is one other solution. You can use a small toggle switch (available at Radio Shack) and enough wire to go from underneath your dash to the relay. Hook one side of the switch to ground and the other side to the ground on the relay. Then you can control the fan with the switch. I did this on my 94 Corvette. I actually bought a kit from one of the Corvette houses for 15 bucks. All that was in it was the toggle switch, wire and instructions. The switch in the kit was no good so off I went to Radio Shack. I paid 15 bucks for the knowledge. The sensor on my Corvette was not bad, I just needed the fan to come on sooner. This whole thing will cost you about 5 bucks which is cheaper than the sensor I am sure.

Good luck
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:00 PM

for some reason ive found that jump the relay and make sure from the relay to the fan moter is ok, i've replaced a few of those temp sensors and it seems lik the read kinda high whitch causes the fan tostart a little later.