Come on

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2012 | 07:10 PM

Come on

Wires running from the rear of the car under the carpet and up to the firewall, there not original color code and there just cut and stripped.. Is there a way to use a battery and test each wire see whatlights up and label it?

Making my life easy when i go about putting the harness in

Thanks
Old August 23rd, 2012 | 07:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The wiring harness that goes under the floor is hooked up to a trunk wiring harness. I'd suggest you check those connections first. IMO you'd be farther ahead to just get another 1970 harness from John, Eric, Scott or Brian. I'm sure one of them has several sitting around. Unless you have some special options in the car (or it was a SMT) most of the harnesses are going to be all the same.
John (2blu442) Medford Oregon
Eric (jensenracing77) Brazil Indiana
Scott (Oldspackrat) Indianapolis Indiana
Brian (507OLDS) Erie Pennsylvania

Just my opinion but once you start playing with electrical connections and splices, you enter a world called the "Nightmare Zone".
Old August 24th, 2012 | 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
The wiring harness that goes under the floor is hooked up to a trunk wiring harness. I'd suggest you check those connections first. IMO you'd be farther ahead to just get another 1970 harness from John, Eric, Scott or Brian. I'm sure one of them has several sitting around. Unless you have some special options in the car (or it was a SMT) most of the harnesses are going to be all the same.
John (2blu442) Medford Oregon
Eric (jensenracing77) Brazil Indiana
Scott (Oldspackrat) Indianapolis Indiana
Brian (507OLDS) Erie Pennsylvania

Just my opinion but once you start playing with electrical connections and splices, you enter a world called the "Nightmare Zone".
Thanks, i was really just trying to figure out which wires do what (signals, reverse lights, brake lights etc) ended up grounding the batt to the car and testing each wire one by one. Worked perfectly and i was able to lable them all.

I went with a 12 circuit harness from hot rod wires, i was going to go with a factory harness but my cars so simple. More then half the stuff on the stock harness hasent exsisted in my car for a while. No heat/ac no dome lights just none of that stock stuff anymore. I felt a simpler harness would prevent me from haveing 20 feet of un used wire behind my dash, just less complicated

Last edited by 805cut; August 24th, 2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old August 25th, 2012 | 06:42 AM
Administrator

Since they are not terminated up front you could use an ohm meter and then label each one. The problem with a battery is you may run across a ground.