Car wouldn't stop issue

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Runner

Car wouldn't stop issue

So last week I drove my 68 to work and tried to take it home and it wouldn't start. Ended up having to replace the started, and got it back up and running.

Today was a nice day, I decided to take the cutlass to work again. I get there no problem and park, and this time my car wouldn't shut off. I'm standing outside with my keys in hand and my engine still purring.

I eventually was able to get the car off my turning the key extremely far to the left. I just thought it was a funny story, never heard of people having issues not being able to stop their cars.
Old September 19th, 2011, 08:27 AM
1974 DELTA 88

Ahh.. dieseling

Funny story, I can imagine the surprise standing there watching it run with keys in hand.

Sounds like the carb throttle plates aren't closing all the way or idle screw is turned out too far.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:12 AM

Noooo, I think he has an electical issue with the key switch from his description.
Old September 19th, 2011, 09:16 AM
1974 DELTA 88

Originally Posted by svnt442
Noooo, I think he has an electical issue with the key switch from his description.
Oh yeah, that sounds logical. Sorry, I guess I didn't pay attention to the 'had to turn the key extremely far to the left' part.
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Did you run it after you changed the starter and I would suppose it turned off then? If so its probably the key switch. The only other thing it could be is your starter solenoid is hanging but not enough to keep the starter engaged, where by its not cutting of the start circuit 12v.
Old September 19th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Did you run it after you changed the starter and I would suppose it turned off then? If so its probably the key switch. The only other thing it could be is your starter solenoid is hanging but not enough to keep the starter engaged, where by its not cutting of the start circuit 12v.
Yes, I did drive it a couple times after I swapped the starter. I think its probably just the key switch. I doesn't seem to be very sturdy. Just another thing for me to add to the winter project list....
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Runner

I drove it back from work and had the same problem, this time turn the key all the way to the left didn't work. FINALLY, some weird combination of un plugging the battery, turning on the lights, and then turn the key to the left finally turned it off.

Is it my ignition switch possibly?
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:51 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

DO NOT disconnect your battery with the engine running.
Sometimes you can get away with it, but you could fry your regulator.
Besides, disconnecting the battery will do NOTHING to make your car start. It isn't running off the battery. It's CHARGING the battery. The alternator is making plenty of juice to run the motor just fine, as you discovered.

If you need to stop the engine, just unplug the HEI power plug, or ground the Negative coil terminal (the one that goes to the distributor), or take off the air cleaner and hold your palm over the carburetor opening.

- Eric
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:08 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Use it as a reason to convert to a manuel transmission. Then all you have to do is pop the clutch with the brake on to stop the engine. But finding the real problem might be easier but you never know.
Larry
Old September 20th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Administrator

There are 2 wires feeding your Hei, one is from the starter and 1 is from the ignition switch. The one from the starter should only have 12v on it during start when the starter is turning. The other to supply 12v when the key is on, should be 0v when the key is off. Seperate the 2 wires and with a volt meter test if the voltage goes away during the above conditions. If you have 12v on the wire from the starter its your solenoid. If you have 12v on the other wire with the key off then it somewhere between the switch and the distributor, including possibly the switch.