Vintage Oldsmobiles Curved Dash, Limited Touring, Models 40, 53, 66; Series 60, 70, 90

Restoration doesn't stop at the car....

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:19 AM

Restoration doesn't stop at the car....

After purchasing my 57 Olds, I had to take a good look at the garage. Man what a dog... Here I have this beautiful vintage Olds and a crappy, old, and in need of patching and paint gargage to put it in. (The best part of the garage being that is air conditioned). So fixing the garage up became a priority and one that is more expensive than I reckoned with. After painting and patching all walls and making the garage tidy and functional, something else was needed, attention to the floor. Any suggestions or preferences on a floor type (Epoxy, race deck, linoleum tile, etc.)? Please keep in mind the Arizona heat - gets up to 115 degrees in summer.

Last edited by Dan Wirth; August 24th, 2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old August 24th, 2009, 11:22 AM

I used Premier Garage. They installed a coating on my garage floor as well as cabinets and I am very pleased with their work. The floor is fantastic, as you spill oil, transmission fluid and it just wipes up with a paper towel. The only thing they warn against is brake fluid. It's easy clean up all around. I think they have locations in Arizona. Here is there website info.

http://www.premiergarage.com/
Old August 24th, 2009, 12:29 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll look them up Alan.

Dan
Old August 25th, 2009, 09:39 AM

I put UCoatIt on my garage floor of my previous house. Expensive, but... 4 years of abuse, and very happy!
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Trying to remember member

Interesting how having a classic car gives you more respect for your garages!
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:02 AM

Cool Cool

If your garage is air conditioned then simply flood the floor and let it freeze...
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:50 AM

I used Sherwin Williams Tile Clad and and very pleased with it. Do a google search and you should find sites where others have used it with good results.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...&pictureid=781
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Past Administrator

My friend painted his garage floor about three years ago and I helped him with it. We prepped it very carefully and spread a commercially available "garage floor paint" not an epoxy. It has scratched and worn and bubbled (heat from the tires when a car is parked do that). So, I would recommend an epoxy type of covering based on that experience.
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Registered

Mine is cracked concrete with cardboard chunks to work on and also absorb drips. The marble for the floor that I traveled to Italy to personally choose, at a quarry that Leonardo Da Vinci and Michaelangelo also preferred, is still making it's way over here on the boat.
I was thinking of carpeting it with Polar Bear rugs but the loose hairs would get on the cars and I hate vacuuming.

When I built my last garage I went with the high strength concrete mix and a spray sealer used immediately after it sets, sprayed cool water on it constantly to keep it from curing too fast and cracking,(hot days). It was nearly as hard as steel and shiny as a waxed floor, too bad I sold the place.
I got the plans for my garage with attached house in the works now.

My littlest seester and bro-in-law live in Sierra Vista, AZ and went with the race deck, but he's also a Furd guy so who knows.
Old August 26th, 2009, 04:39 PM

I might like the Italian marble and polar bear rug approach best per the above comment (what a crack-up - couldn't stop laughing), but I'm afraid that a marble floor/polar bear rug coupled with the A/C would be too much of a shock (temperature-wise) should I brave raising the garage door at some obscure point exposing my car to the dust and debris, especially in all this heat...

I think I like the epoxy approach best and will be contacting a few places. Tire heat from driving around in hot weather concerns me most. I been told that even with epoxy, this can cause problems, however, epoxy seems to have improved; with additional layering. I've considered the Race Deck, but I don't like the expense.

Thanks for all the input and comments.
Dan

Last edited by Dan Wirth; August 26th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by msco123
I used Sherwin Williams Tile Clad and and very pleased with it. Do a google search and you should find sites where others have used it with good results.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...&pictureid=781
i have seen this stuff and like it far better than the others i have seen.
Old August 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM

Sherwin Williams car paint is also top quality. I'll look into the Tile Clad product - Thanks
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:04 AM

I have been spending this last week re organizing my garage in prep to put in mine. (my garage also houses my FIL's chevy convertable) and I moved it to the other side of the garage as when i pull in with my olds I want to be able to enter and exit straight instead of having to move over to the side and risk hitting something. the parking area is ready for the olds. .but my work bench has been covered in the process and I need to continue to sort out the tools and junk and make it look all nice and pretty. I want to coat the floor but budget says no right now and I also have that other car (not running) I would have to move around again.