Alternator? ..and a funny story

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2015, 05:00 PM

Alternator? ..and a funny story

Ok. So last week I went out after work to take my 1991 Olds 88 (88k original miles) home from work and it didn't want to start. 1st attempt. Click. 2nd attempt and she fired right up. Next day (monday) and it wouldn't turn, I went down a got a new battery, put it in and fired right up. All week to and fro no problem until today. I finished up work early (I am outside philly and we are getting dumped on with snow) and carefully made my way down I-95 south..I switch into the middle lane and the car stalls. I grab the key and nothing. No click, no spin, no sputter just dead silence. It's 5pm and I'm in the center lane of a major high way during a snow storm and my 4 ways go twice before quitting.
My theory is my alternator is dead and a brand new battery got me to and fro all week gradually dying along the way and picked today (of all days) to quit.

Funny story time- I called who any right minded 28 year old man would call. Dad. He heads up I-95 north and does a large you turn through chester Pa and after 1.5 hours of varying reactions from concern to disgust I hear my phone. Dad says "me and winnie [his 1998 windstar, one of his many vechicals] are gonna push you home son!" We then push the car all the way home in the snow with no lights coasting all the way. I belly flop it in front of my house and he runs out of the van and says "dude, I told you I stopped towing cars years ago. Push all the way!"

Anyway, I have work at 9am the next three days and I don't want to take the tarps off the Hurst so I need to diagnosis anyway I can.

Thanks,
Old February 21st, 2015, 05:17 PM
Lansing built

I agree with your assumption! Put a charger on the battery to get it up to snuff.
Get it started and do a voltage test. Volt meter should be 12+ sitting off and with decent RPM's it should be around 13.6 or better if the alternator is charging.

You can take it off and have the unit tested at some parts stores.

Pat
Old February 21st, 2015, 07:08 PM
Administrator

I'm thinking loose connection somewhere. A fully charged batter should read 12.6 volts. Alternator should charge at around 14v.
Old February 21st, 2015, 08:17 PM

Do what any right minded 28 year old would do. Call Dad and ask if you can borrow winnie while dad does the diagnosis.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by stellar
Do what any right minded 28 year old would do. Call Dad and ask if you can borrow winnie while dad does the diagnosis.
Brother I'm not helpless ha. Though......I was on the freeway,,,
Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:36 AM

X2 oldcutlass.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:47 AM

Just kidding with you. I think your diagnosis is correct. Do as posted earlier. Charge battery and have the system tested. Daughter is broke down as I type. Guess who she called--her dad. It is something Dads come to expect. It is what we do. I guess I will be doing a water pump replacement in a parking lot today on an 02 jeep. Cold and wet. Maybe I'll take the truck and do the push thing. Lots of hills and bad snowy roads right now. It may be too dangerous.

Last edited by stellar; February 22nd, 2015 at 08:07 AM. Reason: more
Old February 22nd, 2015, 07:49 AM

Total loss of power sounds more like broken/ bad connection. Battery cables is the obvious first place to look, all 4 ends.

Cold can kill the battery. Easy to verify if it has voltage or not.

Store will be glad to load test the battery, test the alternator, etc.