72 Cuttlass wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2011, 07:25 PM

72 Cuttlass wont turn over

Hey guys, i have an interesting issue. My car wont turn over. my battery was completely dead so i took it to Auto Zone and they charged it for me. i put it back in the car but it still would not start. i couldnt even jump it so i figured it was my starter (cause it didnt even turn over). So i pulled the starter and had autozone bench test it and they said it is good. I am not sure as to what else to check. I think it might be the ignition switch because when i turn my car off, if i turn it to far back pass the off position it will stay on. That is definately not right. I am gonna yank the ignition switch to see what i find. any ides would help guys.

Thanks in advanced.
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:23 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

We need MUCH more information.

First guess: It's a pre-'74 car with HEI added later.

If so, then idiot previous owner tapped into the Accessories circuit for the HEI power.

As for your problem:
How about your heavy battery cables and connectors?
Are they in good shape?
Are the connections shiny?
If you connect a hot wire to your solenoid, does the starter spin?
Do the lights dim when you try to crank the engine?
Does nothing at all happen when you try to crank, or does the solenoid click?

One other possibility:
What if you've got dirty connections to the solenoid, so that it can't quite get enough current to pull in enough to kick the starter?
In this case, you'll need a relay in your Start circuit to bring current to the solenoid, unless you want to find and clean every connection between there and the battery.

- Eric
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:30 PM

The neutral safety switch could also be the culprit.
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If he had the starter off recently to be checked, the connections should be good. I am betting on the ignition switch. Do the headlights come on? Will the radio play with the switch in the accessory position?
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:46 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by svnt442
The neutral safety switch could also be the culprit.
Oh yeah. Duh.

- Eric
Old August 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM

might also try tapping on the horn relay with a screwdriver handle or small hammer.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 09:25 AM

Yes it is a pre 74 motor with HEI distributor. i have not checked the horn relay or the neutral switch. i also did not try the lights. i do hear the buzzer from the key being in the ignition though. the previous owner also changed from a column shifter and installed a b&m floor ratchet shifter that i despise. I am wondering if he could have mis wired something during the process. Where is that neutral safety switch locatd at? I am gonna try and check the horn relay when i get home.

My battery cable form the bat to the starter splices with some other cable at the point where it is connected to the starter. Yesterday i was unable to trace out whee that cable goes. Do youguys have an idea of what that is for?
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gixxere
the previous owner also changed from a column shifter and installed a b&m floor ratchet shifter
Where is that neutral safety switch locatd at?
This fact makes things a bit more interesting. Those shifters come with 2 micro switches that are supposed to operate the neutral safety function and the reverse lights. IF...and I do mean IF.....he wired it up per the instructions there will be 4 wires running to the shifter for those to operate properly. If not then the neutral safety switch at the base of the column will still hold those functions. Now if for some reason the collar where the factory shifter was (I'm assuming it's been removed by removing the pin) to move it will keep the car from starting.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:07 AM

i will check thos wires when i get home. i am able to see just one thick sheilded wire that i am sure has smaller wires inside of it. the PO did tellme that he just took the shifter out of the column in case i want to go back to it. i plan to take the ignition apart as well as the column to see what is going on in there. Thanks for the suggestions. You guys have been a real help.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:48 PM

Wehre are you in NorCal?
Old August 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM

Im in stockton. I lived in San Jose for over 13 years before i moved out here.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM

so i had the starter tested and my battery tested and both passed. I took some sand paper and sanded off the paint and greas on the battery ground to the block. I reinstalled the starter verified that all was securely connected. Low and behold she fired right up. no hesitation what so ever.

that was yesterday around 5:00. i just fired it up right now and she started like a champ. I am glad it is running now but i am a little concerned as to what caused the battery to completely drain in 5-6 hours over the weekend.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 10:37 AM

How old is the battery?