68 Cutlass headlight harness plugs stopped getting power

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2021 | 06:07 PM

68 Cutlass headlight harness plugs stopped getting power

Was driving home and my headlights flickered then shut off and won't come back on. All other lights are working fine. Checked for 12v as all the plugs and I am not getting power to them. The fuse didn't blow. Any idea what it could be?
Old October 8th, 2021 | 06:16 PM
72 Olds CS

isnt there a circiut breaker for the headlghts (in the switch maybe) im just spitballing

try flicking the hi beams too?
Old October 8th, 2021 | 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
isnt there a circiut breaker for the headlghts (in the switch maybe) im just spitballing

try flicking the hi beams too?
I thought it was the switch since I replaced it with an aftermarket one last Feb. I got it warrantied out today for a new one and same thing so I ruled out the switch.
Old October 8th, 2021 | 07:59 PM
Administrator

Headlights have no fuse, just a circuit breaker in the switch. You need to start tracing power and see where it’s lost. Some aftermarket switches are not correct.
Old October 8th, 2021 | 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Headlights have no fuse, just a circuit breaker in the switch. You need to start tracing power and see where it’s lost. Some aftermarket switches are not correct.
I guess this leads to better explanation. I am using a harness from Dapper Lighting which utilized the first 3 prong socket to activate the relay and draws power directly from the battery. I had changed the bulbs to LEDs. Everything worked fine for almost 6 months now until it flickered and wouldn't turn back on. I tested the bulbs and they're still good. I tried different lights. When tracing the harness I noticed one of the original power prongs slipped out of the plugs and was resting on the inner bumper. Could that have shorted something? Kind of strange because all my other lights work fine
Old October 9th, 2021 | 06:25 AM
Administrator

You need to determine if you lost trigger voltage or ground to the relays or power through the relays to the lights.
Old October 9th, 2021 | 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
You need to determine if you lost trigger voltage or ground to the relays or power through the relays to the lights.
I lost voltage/power to the factory headlight plugs. All 4 of them. Because of this it won't trigger my relay harness. I tried both ways. As I mentioned I used a digital meter and was not getting any power to factory headlight plugs
Old October 9th, 2021 | 10:59 AM

Check for power at the yellow (I think) wire at the dimmer switch. That’s the power feed from the headlight switch to the dimmer switch. No power with the headlights on, start checking wiring to the headlight switch.