65 vista cruiser tail gate window

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2015, 06:58 PM

65 vista cruiser tail gate window

ok, this one's got me.. I got the tail gate off my v/c, I am attempting to open the window (electric) with the tail gate off the car. there are 3 wires orange with black strip, solid blue, and lt brown with a white stripe. ok 1st question which is my ground? so if I hook up my ground 1st to the neg side of the battery, then one wire should be for opening and the open for closing the window correct? and I would still have to use the key outside to open/close it correct?
thanx! rod K
Old May 11th, 2015, 07:25 PM

There is a safety switch on, or near, the passenger side latch for the tailgate. It prevents the window from working when the gate is not closed completely. The switch uses the ground wire, so, which ever wire goes toward that area is your ground wire.
If you plan to remove the motor from the regulator there is a step which needs to be taken to keep the big spring on the regulator from making a big mess in there which could cut things off, like fingers. It is outlined in the Fisher Body Manual.

Last edited by 66luvr; May 11th, 2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old May 11th, 2015, 07:59 PM

The motor bolted to the tailgate is it's ground(chassis)
The orange is power going to the outside window switch
Tan/brown is Up
Blue Is down

There should also be an additional wire maybe green going to the safety switch in the jamb. This will prevent anything from working with the tailgate removed unless you tape it in the closed position.

To make thing easier as it seems you are working on this off the car. Remove the plug off the motor. Make up a two wire harness. (On the motor)One plugged onto the spade that had the blue wire and one on the spade that had the brown wire. Taking a car battery, (-) to the tailgate metal, (Your Two wire harness)Then touch one wire to the pos(+) side of the battery. Window goes up. Remove that wire from the battery then touch the other to the Pos side window goes down.

OR

Pos(+) battery to orange
Neg(-) battery to tailgate metal
Tape jamb switch closed position
Then use outside key
Old May 12th, 2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by 68442
The motor bolted to the tailgate is it's ground(chassis) so any ideas on the prodecures to get the window open (up) while its on a work stand? I cannot get at anything with the glass beig in place in the down postion, unless I put it back on the car and hook up the wires?
thanx!
Rod
There should also be an additional wire maybe green going to the safety switch in the jamb. This will prevent anything from working with the tailgate removed unless you tape it in the closed position.

To make thing easier as it seems you are working on this off the car. Remove the plug off the motor. Make up a two wire harness. (On the motor)One plugged onto the spade that had the blue wire and one on the spade that had the brown wire. Taking a car battery, (-) to the tailgate metal, (Your Two wire harness)Then touch one wire to the pos(+) side of the battery. Window goes up. Remove that wire from the battery then touch the other to the Pos side window goes down.

OR

Pos(+) battery to orange
Neg(-) battery to tailgate metal
Tape jamb switch closed position
Then use outside key