64 starfire wiring diagram help

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2009, 03:29 AM

64 starfire wiring diagram help

Chasing an open circuit in my Starfire. A green wire feeds power to back of fuse box, for windows, seats, wipers and antenna. Only manual I have is a 63 Olds factory book. It shows that circuit as coming from voltage regulator. 3rd wire on V/R is Blue not green, although may be discolored. There is no power there. Do I have a bad V/R? No charging problems at this time. Was trying NOT to tear up entire harness, if possible.
Thanks.
JT:Orlando, Fl
Jaytee43@hotmail.com
863-257-0363
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:22 AM

btt
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:57 AM

what is btt? I thought 3rd wire was red. Third wire is hot at all times. Probably your wire is corroded at a splice in the harness not to far from the reg. If it is charging your reg is good.
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:36 PM

Smile Juiced

There is a circuit breaker in there somewhere that feeds a pwr relay--black wire from junction block near battery feeds cct breaker,blue wire from there feeds pwr relay, orange wire from there feeds to pwr window switch, the cct breaker might be located under or near brake booster(it is on a '68 Cutlass)...White wire from fuse box energizes pwr relay when key is on, so unauthorized personnel don't play with pwr accessories when key is off and you are having your afternoon nap!!
Old May 13th, 2009, 02:21 PM

64 Starfire wiring problem

[DUH!! low voltage at regulator and fuseblock should have been a major clue. Found burned connector on ignition switch. Had to cut away melted plastic and temporarely use spade terminal. Looking for new plastic 6way connector and proper GM spade terminal.

Damn wiring diagram is so small did not see the green wire at the ignition switch. All better now!
JT
p.s. thanks for all your help and BTW ordered that CD Rom from e-bay. Doggone wiring schematic are NOT in color! B&W is very hard to read!
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Oldsdruid

Common problem on 64's. Most I've seen have been burned/melted esp on A/C cars. Good luck finding a good ignition switch connector, since I think it is a one-year-only for full-size Olds.

You can probably source the brass terminal thru a well-stocked GM dealer. We were even able to get the ?-shaped terminals for power window switch block at the Buick-Pontiac dealer.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Common problem on 64's. Most I've seen have been burned/melted esp on A/C cars. Good luck finding a good ignition switch connector, since I think it is a one-year-only for full-size Olds.

You can probably source the brass terminal thru a well-stocked GM dealer. We were even able to get the ?-shaped terminals for power window switch block at the Buick-Pontiac dealer.
Hey Rockettraider, yes this is an A/C car. And yes it does seem difficult to source out this part. Have tried a few Chevy places, like O.P.G. and Year one, but no luck. Oh well, at least it works.

Now, what about a gas gauge that drops when you turn on the headlights??? Thinking it may be a bad ground, for that circuit?? One thing at a time.
Thanks again for all the replies.
JT
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Oldsdruid

what about a gas gauge that drops when you turn on the headlights
Both of my Starfires will do that, and also do it in time with the turn signals. Don't see it with brake lights though. One of those things I know they do, and just put up with. I don't get much Starfire time anymore. Whoever said life got easier at 50 was full of it- I work and stress more now than I have in my life. So that tells me I NEED some Starfire time.
Old May 13th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Jakespeed63
Hey Rockettraider, yes this is an A/C car. And yes it does seem difficult to source out this part. Have tried a few Chevy places, like O.P.G. and Year one, but no luck. Oh well, at least it works.

Now, what about a gas gauge that drops when you turn on the headlights??? Thinking it may be a bad ground, for that circuit?? One thing at a time.
Thanks again for all the replies.
JT
On the ignition switch connector I'd try one of the companies that do reproduction wiring harnesses. They will have connectors and sockets otherwise impossible to find anywhere.

The gas gauge going to zip, point, nada, is likely a bad connection at the sending unit at the tank.