64 cutlass convertible wiper troubles

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2013 | 09:47 AM

64 cutlass convertible wiper troubles

2 1/2 months ago I bought a really nice 64 cutlass convertible. Inside the stripped out interior were boxes of parts, bolts nuts and screws, lights, moldings, etc. and all the under the hood components including the "round style" wiper motor assembly. The car came with about 97% of all the parts but a few parts turned out to be wrong for the car. My fun challenge has been I don't have the luxury of knowing how it all came apart but doing really well so far.

Now my wipers problems. Having a round style two speed wiper motor, I just could not figure out how it attached to the firewall. So, I bought a used square style two speed wiper motor and it slipped into the round firewall hole and bolted right in...great! Now I connected the transmission arms that i had, only to find that they were too long and they bound right up. Then I bought brand new shorter transmission arms and they spun the posts back and forth perfectly...again great! Now I attached the wiper arms but they don't seem to travel across the windshield far enough and don't park properly. Its important to know that I had to use the motor crank arm off of the round style motor and put it on the square style motor.

So here's a question. Is the motor crank "length" different on the round and square wiper motors and is this my blade travel problem?

More wiper problems. With the key in the "on and accessory" positions, the square wiper motor gradually, over ten or more minutes, gets really hot. What could be up with that?

The wipers system has made the rest of the car seem easy. Any help is really appreciated.