64 cutlass convertible - bad ground?

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2020 | 05:23 PM

64 cutlass convertible - bad ground?

Ok, Lets see if i can describe . Was having trouble with the interior lights. I replaced the headlight switch and WAAAALLLLAAAAA everything works. BUT.......,,,,... today i took the car out for the first time. Thought it needed gas because was reading empty. It wasn't empty. I drove it home the gas gauge starts working - sweet - NOPE I park the car in the garage and the interior lights are on and wont go off. It has to be a ground. Where do I look? what is going on?

Thanks for your help in advance
Old April 3rd, 2020 | 12:30 PM

better yet, i know there is a ground to the headlight area, and one to the fire wall. where would the ground be to the frame?
Old April 3rd, 2020 | 12:35 PM

Did you by chance turn the headlight switch **** all the way to bring on interior lights?? Just a thought. Doubt it is a ground issue button general Olds runs the ground from battery to engine then from back of engine to firewall, frame gets ground thru attaching bolts to body.
Old April 3rd, 2020 | 01:27 PM

Here is a few pictures of the F-85 at tear down. Straight back on the left side towards the top of trans tunnel, you will see a ground strap attached to the firewall. That goes to a valve cover bolt. I do not have my notes and car with me now, I believe that is a ground for the dash lighting but a least it's start. I also think on the headlight harness-passenger side there's a ground attached to the radiator core support..

Old April 4th, 2020 | 08:44 AM

Well, to clarify. The interior lights were staying on all the time. When i replaced the headlight switch that fixed the situation. I am wondering why the situation popped up again. The interior light circuit is getting ground when it shouldnt be. maybe one of the door switches is faulty? or maybe one of the fixtures is grounded? IDK im just frustrated. How do i test this? I have been around and around with this.

Thanks for the suggestion of the headlight switch being turned, that is immediately what I thought too. too bad it want it