371 starter

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2020, 10:15 PM

371 starter

Yea Gidday from Nz
Just pulled me starter out ...has seen better days .. 58 Olds 371 auto What starter have you guys used to replace them and where from please delco 1107666

Is 9 tooth and the clutch is shot

Brownie
Old May 27th, 2020, 11:23 PM

Do you have rebuilders in NZ? Maybe buy the parts to rebuild it yourself.
Old May 28th, 2020, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by stellar
Do you have rebuilders in NZ? Maybe buy the parts to rebuild it yourself.
Hi there... would luv ta do that ...have given serial number to several suppliers but unfortunately they have nothing .If you have a contact I would luv to hear about them so I can import . Our 58 olds is the only one registered in NZ
Brownie
Old May 28th, 2020, 06:06 AM

I think your starter has been rebuilt before. Do not buy parts for the 1107666 as I think that is not the correct number. I think you should have an 1107665. You may wish to do your own research on this matter but I believe this to be correct. Maybe someone on the site can verify. I can probably supply the parts if you can't find them near you. Your 10MT starter is a bit shorter than most of the common 10MT units, but some of the parts are the same. Unfortunately the drive (clutch) is different as well as the armature. The armature is about 11MM shorter. and the drive is also shorter. If your drive pinion is good (both outside teeth and inside the clutch) it may be able to be rebuilt by you or a shop near you using the more common Delco clutch parts. I'm pretty sure I have a drive you need in stock. Try looking for a drive looking for Delco number 1974355
Old May 28th, 2020, 06:12 AM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...+drive+rebuild
Look this thread over
Old May 28th, 2020, 03:47 PM

The number stamped on your starter looks to me as 1107665.
Old May 29th, 2020, 04:51 PM

Senior moment

I think your starter has been rebuilt before. Do not buy parts for the 1107666 as I think that is not the correct number. I think you should have an 1107665. You may wish to do your own research on this matter but I believe this to be correct. Maybe someone on the site can verify. I can probably supply the parts if you can't find them near you. Your 10MT starter is a bit shorter than most of the common 10MT units, but some of the parts are the same. Unfortunately the drive (clutch) is different as well as the armature. The armature is about 11MM shorter. and the drive is also shorter. If your drive pinion is good (both outside teeth and inside the clutch) it may be able to be rebuilt by you or a shop near you using the more common Delco clutch parts. I'm pretty sure I have a drive you need in stock. Try looking for a drive looking for Delco number 1974355
nior

Yea Gidday
my bad ....had a young person look at number and it is 665 ...sorry
It is the clutch drive that is shot ...9 tooth pinion is good but if you have the starter running on the bench and apply pressure with a piece of wood on the pinion ...the pinion stops turning and starter keeps going . Have tried the 2 major starter shops in NZ with no luck at all ..the starter number comes up but unfortunately is obsolete .
Do you have a drive in stock for the 665 starter ..if yes is it new or used please
Have found an aftermarket starter on the Web @ rareelectricial ... has anybody had dealings with them 🤔🤔
thanks Brownie
Old May 29th, 2020, 07:42 PM

Great info

thanks for that ..I can use that info
Brownie
Old May 29th, 2020, 07:43 PM

Thanks ..

Originally Posted by Yellowstatue
The number stamped on your starter looks to me as 1107665.
correct ...well done 👍👍
Old May 29th, 2020, 08:42 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by Brownie12
nio
It is the clutch drive that is shot ...9 tooth pinion is good but if you have the starter running on the bench and apply pressure with a piece of wood on the pinion ...the pinion stops turning and starter keeps going . Have tried the 2 major starter shops in NZ with no luck at all ..the starter number comes up but unfortunately is obsolete .
Do you have a drive in stock for the 665 starter ..if yes is it new or used please
Have found an aftermarket starter on the Web @ rareelectricial ... has anybody had dealings with them
That's a lot of money to spend , especially when your starter may only need a drive .
Original starter drives can be had here ;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...963+Oldsmobile
A starter drive , bushings and brushes may be all you need .
A local shop should be able to check the armature on a " growler " and true and undercut the commutator .
Old May 29th, 2020, 09:00 PM

Great option

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
That's a lot of money to spend , especially when your starter may only need a drive .
Original starter drives can be had here ;
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...963+Oldsmobile
A starter drive , bushings and brushes may be all you need .
A local shop should be able to check the armature on a " growler " and true and undercut the commutator .
Yea Gidday
I am gunna pull the starter apart and measure the drive and check everything before I order as the freight down here is usually more than the part $45.00 to $120.00 . Great info ..thanks
Brownie
Old May 29th, 2020, 09:08 PM
Phantom Phixer

That part number is 1932188 is directly from the Oldsmobile Parts catalog , group # 2.086 ;
Old May 29th, 2020, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Jones
That part number is 1932188 is directly from the Oldsmobile Parts catalog , group # 2.086 ;
thanks Charlie
Old May 30th, 2020, 04:36 AM

Other Delco part numbers for the drive 1974355 1932188 1939506 D2003 D2028 I have a new one in stock if you can't find or fix locally Drive measurements in MM gear dia. 25.4mm Length 76.2mm
Old May 31st, 2020, 08:46 PM

In bits now

Other Delco part numbers for the drive 1974355 1932188 1939506 D2003 D2028 I have a new one in stock if you can't find or fix locally Drive measurements in MM gear dia. 25.4mm Length 76.2mm
Yea Gidday
Holiday in NZ for the Queens birthday ....ya should hit Trumpy up for one 😊😊😊 ...Ok serious stuff 🤓 have stripped the starter ... took pics as I did to show you .. looks like I need a drive , set of brushes , and the leather washer on back end of shaft . Front and back bushes have no float on the 12mm shaft .I also pulled the solinoid apart ...turned the copper washer over to the good side and turned the positive bolt round to the good side.
Let me know how you want to be paid and I will organize the monies .
delivery address is ::
Cavanagh Truck Spares
Attn ::: Brownie

The drive was very loose on the 12mm shaft

Bit of wear on teeth and it looked like it had been fixed before

Shaft looked OK 😊

Think this is a leather washer and it has seen better days ...looks like a bit of wear on the back plate face as well

Will put new brushes in and get armature tested and tidied up at the auto sparkies

10 Landscape rd
Te puke 3119
Bay of Plenty
New Zealand
Old May 31st, 2020, 09:31 PM

I'll get it together and get a shipping price. Give me a couple of days.You want a drive, brushes and a leather brake washer. Is that right?
Old May 31st, 2020, 10:17 PM

I'll get it together and get a shipping price. Give me a couple of days.You want a drive, brushes and a leather brake washer. Is that right?
Yes Please 3 items ...be a week or so before I can fit them as getting concrete floor poured in me shed 😊😊 so no panic
Old June 2nd, 2020, 03:50 PM

parts

Is this what you want? If there is anything else let me know. I will get a shipping price from post office tomorrow morning.

5Roller HD drive, brushes and leather brake washer
Old June 2nd, 2020, 09:47 PM

Looks great

Is this what you want? If there is anything else let me know. I will get a shipping price from post office tomorrow morning.
Yea Gidday
They look great ...exactly what we are looking for ... thanks ...hear from you soon
Brownie

5Roller HD drive, brushes and leather brake washer
Old June 3rd, 2020, 06:33 AM

I called the post office today with shipping it will be $70.00 USD. Let me know. Mark
Old June 3rd, 2020, 01:37 PM

Happyness Filled

I called the post office today with shipping it will be $70.00 USD. Let me know. Mark
Yea Gidday
Yup ...all sounds great thanks Mark ... can send you our credit card details but it will need to be a private message ....can we do that on here🤔🤔🤔🤔 or do you have a website
Brownie
Old June 3rd, 2020, 03:59 PM

Can you do paypal? No website or charge card processor. I closed the business a few years ago. Now it is just a hobby. Your brushes still look to have some life on them. I have seen the brushes wear half the screw head off and still work. I doubt if the end cap has worn down. Probably just some greasy debris build up there. I'm going to throw in a few extra small parts. Bushings and 2 thin fiber brake washers. You can use the thin ones to make up some extra end play on the armature if needed. My books show 2 different end caps using different bushings. Early and late style, so I will send both along with the drive end bushing. I think you will be using the thinner bushings if you decide to change them.
To space the armature, with no grease in the bushings yet,assemble the armature in the drive end housing, then put the field case over the armature, then put the end cap on and push down until cap is tight. Now push up on the drive to lift the armature. When the end cap starts to lift you can see the play at the drive end thrust washer against the cast iron housing.You need some play there, but not a lot. If you have a big gap use the thin fiber washer. Take it back apart and put a bit of grease in both bushings, then reassemble with the bolts.
When you put the brushes in put the longer side against the brush holder. Scroll back up to your picture to see what I mean.

Old June 3rd, 2020, 05:20 PM

All Good

Can you do paypal? No website or charge card processor. I closed the business a few years ago. Now it is just a hobby. Your brushes still look to have some life on them. I have seen the brushes wear half the screw head off and still work. I doubt if the end cap has worn down. Probably just some greasy debris build up there. I'm going to throw in a few extra small parts. Bushings and 2 thin fiber brake washers. You can use the thin ones to make up some extra end play on the armature if needed. My books show 2 different end caps using different bushings. Early and late style, so I will send both along with the drive end bushing. I think you will be using the thinner bushings if you decide to change them.
To space the armature, with no grease in the bushings yet,assemble the armature in the drive end housing, then put the field case over the armature, then put the end cap on and push down until cap is tight. Now push up on the drive to lift the armature. When the end cap starts to lift you can see the play at the drive end thrust washer against the cast iron housing.You need some play there, but not a lot. If you have a big gap use the thin fiber washer. Take it back apart and put a bit of grease in both bushings, then reassemble with the bolts.
When you put the brushes in put the longer side against the brush holder. Scroll back up to your picture to see what I mean.
Yea Gidday
Your a legend ...thanks for that ...much appreciated . It did have a bit much end play , so its gunna be far easier to sort it with the correct spacers 😊Yup I have got a pay pal account ...do I need your account number or something to pay it into please ...its midday on Thursday here so can get onto it this avro
Brownie
Old June 3rd, 2020, 11:28 PM

My pay pal account is stellar11@earthlink.net.
Old June 4th, 2020, 03:18 PM

Thanks ..

Yea Gidday
funds transferred taday... thanks for being so helpful ...its been
a pleasure to trade withyou
keep enjoying the good things 😊
Brownie
Old June 23rd, 2020, 09:48 PM

Big thanks

Yea Gidday
its a long way round the world at the moment starter parts arrived taday ...did well to get them here ...all perfect ...thanks soooo much for all the effort Mark ...really appreciated
Brownie

Last edited by Brownie12; June 23rd, 2020 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Spell earay
Old July 12th, 2020, 07:28 PM

How did the starter rebuild go?
Old July 19th, 2020, 04:13 PM

Rebuild

How did the starter rebuild go?
Yea Gidday
I thought I had answered you 😁
must have gone to the zone where all the other single sox are 😊😊😊
yup ...the rebuild went great ..is all as per instructions that were really good . Is all together and bench tested ...All Good .
Thanks for all the help ..made the job easy
Brownie

Old July 19th, 2020, 04:46 PM

Looks beautiful and nice spacing.
Old January 17th, 2021, 11:59 AM

More help please

Looks beautiful and nice spacing.
Hi Mark
58 olds is now road worthy 😊😊
BUT the starter is playing up 🤔🤔 not sure what I have done wrong
when it is cold it works 9 out of 10 times , but when it is hot about 2 out of 10 times, so I took it out and did the following.
when starter not work you can hear the solenoid firmly operating
but starter not spin.
pulled solenoid apart and every thing looked great ...filed the disc and contact bolts to make them shiney .
bench tested it 50 times ....never missed a beat
cleaned paint off nose cone contact with block surface and cleaned block .....added an earth strap from battery to block as it did not have one.
fitted starter to car ....started perfect every time ...yeepeeee
took it for a drive down road to get it hot .....back to 2 out of 10 🤨🤨😪😪
starter is right by exhaust , had armature tested on growler , is not polling out
Any ideas
Brownie
Old January 17th, 2021, 02:54 PM

If the solenoid is kicking out solid and the ground side is good , that only leaves the positive side. You may want to replace both ground and positive battery cables. What does not polling out mean? Can you do a voltage drop test on the cables?
Old February 14th, 2021, 03:16 PM

Fixed

If the solenoid is kicking out solid and the ground side is good , that only leaves the positive side. You may want to replace both ground and positive battery cables. What does not polling out mean? Can you do a voltage drop test on the cables?
Hi there Mark
finally got time to sort starter 😊 took it out and same story as before🤨🤨 stripped it ( polling out is when armature is touching fields ...we speak same language ...english .... just different words down under Lol 😁&#128513 accidentally dropped the solinoid ...tested it...no go with power coming out output... dropped again ...was all good ....purchased new one and fitted ....happy days😊😊
thanks for your help again
Brownie
Old February 14th, 2021, 09:32 PM

Glad it works. I may need to get one of those translation apps. English to English
Old February 15th, 2021, 11:21 PM

Thanks ..

Glad it works. I may need to get one of those translation apps. English to English
Ha Ha ha ...yea I think both our countries have mucked up the english language quite good 😄😄
Brownie