1990 Starter Motor Removal.

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2015 | 12:15 AM

Exclamation 1990 Starter Motor Removal.

I have a 1990 Cutlass Ciera S 3.1L LH0 V6 Olds. the Starter motor reject restarting when engine is hot. so each time that I shot the car off I have to wait 30 min so it cools down and would start again.

I'm about to remove the starter to check it out but i can'i access the second bolt behind the starter it self. how can I access it? it is located where no tool reaches.

is there any specific procedure ti reach the bolt? because it is impossible to reach.

thanks in advance for helping me...

Shahab
Old August 2nd, 2015 | 03:23 AM
Lansing built

Welcome to C.O. Got any photos of the suspect bolt and starter? Also you tube has a video of GM 3.1 starter removal. It's a 1998 with the 3.1 I would assume that the layout has not changed for the hardware but other surrounding materials may have?

Pat
Old August 3rd, 2015 | 12:46 AM

Pleasure is all Mine!

Pleasure is all mine to be accepted in this forum my friend.

i saw the movie you sent me.

the total structure and location of the starter motor is exactly the same but there is a difference here...

here in the movie the starter is all free from sides and is easily reachable. but in my Olds there is a long wide iron piece supporting the under body and transaxle anchor. this part is welded fix to the under body and also blocking my way to the second bolt behind the starter ... so I have no idea how to get to the second bolt!!!

I didn't take picture from under my body but the starter bolts and location is as in the movie and in this picture.

Old August 3rd, 2015 | 04:46 AM

15mm socket, swivel, extension, on ratchet. Use a 6 point socket. Take the long difficult bolt out 1st. If you already have the short front bolt out, put it back. You can also use an offset 15mm box wrench to break it loose if the socket slips. Drop the bolt as far as it will go. It won't clear the cross member bar until you take the front bolt out. When the front bolt is out, you can move the starter enough to remove the long bolt. Now release the prisioners or I won't tell you how to put it back in.
Old August 3rd, 2015 | 05:34 AM

I Tried!!!

thanks man... but i tried!

I mean the bolt is so far behind the cross member bar that in the best case i get the 13mm 6 point socket stuck with the bolt but it goes behind the cross member bar and it is impossible to attache the extension let alone the ratchet...

I have no idea how to get it open...
Old August 3rd, 2015 | 06:09 AM

use the swivel or break it loose with an offset wrench.
Old August 3rd, 2015 | 06:27 AM

Did you take the plastic cover off? Try a straight box wrench between the cross member and starter.
Old August 3rd, 2015 | 10:15 PM

Impossible!

the bolt is far behind the cross member that no even the offset wrench can reach. I mean that's so weird... when i see it i wonder how they fasten the bolt in the first plac
e???!!!!

the plastic cover is on but causing no problem because i lift the car so high that it doesn't bother me. the problem is with the cross member bar which is welded fix to the under body...

you know what??? I take a picture next time and put it here so you guys can see it for your self...