1972 tic toc tach wiring

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2016 | 10:35 AM

1972 tic toc tach wiring

Can someone give me some help.
My car had a factory tach then someone put msd ignition on car and
Aftermarket tach. I bought Msd tach adaptor and hooked up.
I wanted factory tach . Hooked it up. Did not work. Crawled under and took picture of back of tach. Orange connector not hooked up. I'm assuming
This is supposed to be to the left on a spade which is missing and is power.
If I'm right what size spade?? Anyone have a picture of back of tach and wiring?
Please help thanks Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (689.5 KB, 213 views)
Old June 12th, 2016 | 11:41 AM
Randy C.

The orange wire should be for the clock as the orange wire is hot all the time. The grey wire is for the dash lights (if your dash lights work in the ttt then it is hooked up correctly). The brown wire is for your tach. There should be an in-line 2 amp fuse in the brown wire (check to see if the fuse is good). On original circuitry, the brown wire went to the negative side of the coil.

Randy C.
Old June 12th, 2016 | 12:20 PM

Thanks for info. Then I am correct that that orange wire needs to be plugged to a spade
On one of the terminals. Is 2 amp fuse in eng comp or under dash?
Cannot find any spades at auto parts as of yet. Lookalike gauge will have to
Come out from front . Not much room while in dash
Any additional input appreciated
Thanks Dave
Old June 12th, 2016 | 02:13 PM
Randy C.

Yes, the orange wire gets plugged into a spade. The in-line 2 amp fuse in the brown wire is located under the dash near where the brown wire connects to the tach pod. It's very true there isn't much room under the dash to work with, and if you have air conditioning, it gets real crowded under there!

I've attached a picture of how my '68 looks (no A/C) at the tic-toc-tac. Your should look very similar even though it's 4 years newer.

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0310131254.jpg (790.6 KB, 224 views)
Old June 12th, 2016 | 03:13 PM

Randy
Thanks for all your help and picture. I'll look for fuse.orange wire explains no clock
Power. If I can't find a spade I'll have to make one. I think it will be easier to take out
Gage's. Any and all help appreciated
Thanks Dave
Old March 29th, 2020 | 07:30 AM

Fuse

Originally Posted by 1972 "U" code
Randy
Thanks for all your help and picture. I'll look for fuse.orange wire explains no clock
Power. If I can't find a spade I'll have to make one. I think it will be easier to take out
Gage's. Any and all help appreciated
Thanks Dave
I realize this post is old but your 2 amp fusible link is in your picture that you first took..
White link with what appears to be a yellow wire coming out at one end and brown on the other or the yellow wire is just in the picture just right so that it looks as if it's attached? Either way someone may have added a jumper for length but that's definitely without a doubt your link so it's right behind your tach and once ya pull it, it'll be right there in the open for ya to get at..