1972 Rear Tailight Socket

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2022, 04:44 PM

1972 Rear Tailight Socket

1972 Cutlass rear tailight socket. One of the sockets got rusty and the lightbulb doesn't sit in there properly. Need to replace that one socket but can't find a direct replacement. Only universal ones. The below one MIGHT work but factory is steel with two pins. Replacement is plastic with two metal strips. Anyone have any recommendations?

Universal Light Socket - Summit

Old August 28th, 2022, 06:00 PM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272751474635
Old August 28th, 2022, 06:49 PM
Rodney

I'm currently working on the same repair. I found the S91 socket from Standard Motor Products to be the best part for this repair.
Rodney

Old August 28th, 2022, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
I'm currently working on the same repair. I found the S91 socket from Standard Motor Products to be the best part for this repair.
Rodney

Looks like the factory piece has 2 wires coming out of the socket. The replacement has 3 wires.

Is one not used?
Old August 28th, 2022, 08:24 PM

Rodney
How did you get the old socket out of the housing? They appear to be press fit.

Old August 29th, 2022, 04:16 AM
Rodney

Pettrix:
The third wire is a dedicated ground wire; the factory socket only had 2 wires because it grounded the bulb through the housing. If you think about it, the ground path for the tail light bulbs was very convoluted; it grounded through the socket housing, the tail light housing, the bumper, the bumper bracket and finally the chassis frame rail. There were so many places the continuity of the circuit could be compromised by a painted surface or corrosion. I plan to use this third wire as a dedicated ground to the body tub to simplify the ground path.

Rodney
Old August 29th, 2022, 08:44 AM

Pettrix:
The third wire is a dedicated ground wire; the factory socket only had 2 wires because it grounded the bulb through the housing. If you think about it, the ground path for the tail light bulbs was very convoluted; it grounded through the socket housing, the tail light housing, the bumper, the bumper bracket and finally the chassis frame rail. There were so many places the continuity of the circuit could be compromised by a painted surface or corrosion. I plan to use this third wire as a dedicated ground to the body tub to simplify the ground path.

Rodney
I see. So you will just ground out the 3rd wire to the frame. The other 2 wires will wire up the same way as the factory.

Hopefully the old socket will come out of the housing. Might have to be drilled out by the looks of things unless it can be pushed out from the back. Any ideas on how it is removed?
Old August 29th, 2022, 01:25 PM
Rodney

I used a Dremel tool to make a few shallow cuts to the lip on the inside of the the tail light housing, lightly clamped the housing in a vise, the used a small hammer and a 3/8" socket extension to "pop" it out the back. With the relief cuts, it didn't take much to pop out the socket. I will solder and heat shrink the new socket wiring into the original harness. I hope to get back to this project this weekend and will post some pics.
Rodney