1972 Cutlass S Wiring

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2015 | 10:53 AM

1972 Cutlass S Wiring

Started restoration many years ago. Purchased new engine wiring harness because old harness was brittle from exposure to elements. Interior / Under Dash wiring harness is good. Decided to remove A/C prior to purchasing engine wiring harness.

Is there a video that will assist my installation of original interior / under dash wiring? It has been a while since I remove from car and unsure of replacement.

Have quite a lot invested in car and do not want it to burn.
Old July 30th, 2015 | 11:27 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rickbmac
Started restoration many years ago. Purchased new engine wiring harness because old harness was brittle from exposure to elements. Interior / Under Dash wiring harness is good. Decided to remove A/C prior to purchasing engine wiring harness.

Is there a video that will assist my installation of original interior / under dash wiring? It has been a while since I remove from car and unsure of replacement.

Have quite a lot invested in car and do not want it to burn.
Your best bet is to get an Assembly Manual for your car and study the engineering drawings that show the harness routing. The Chassis Service Manual shows this also, but in less detail. Simply follow those diagrams and it pretty much falls into place (assuming the repro harnes is made correctly). The one thing to be careful of is routing of the battery cable to the starter, especially if you have headers instead of factory manifolds.
Old August 9th, 2015 | 12:20 PM

Horn Relay / Junction Block

I have asked questions previously in other threads as well as one of my own regarding electrical issues.

I do have an assembly manual and a Fisher Body manual. The assembly manual has no color code and the body manual is incomplete.

My question here is if the horn relay on my 1972 Cutlass S is the junction block as well?
Old August 9th, 2015 | 12:25 PM

Chassis Service Manual

I do have an assembly manual and a Fisher Body manual. The assembly manual has no color code and the body manual is incomplete.

Is the Chassis Service Manual something different?
Old August 9th, 2015 | 01:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rickbmac

Is the Chassis Service Manual something different?
Your original question was about harness ROUTING, which means how the harness is physically located and tied down as the car is built. The Assembly Manual has the best drawings about that.

If your question is really about wiring SCHEMATIC, you need the Chassis Service Manual, which, for the 1972 manual, has enlarged the color wiring diagram to a more easily readable foldout. The Fisher Body Manual only has wiring for body items like power windows or seats.

1972 wiring diagram foldout:

CSM:

Assembly Manual:

Fisher Body Manual:

My question here is if the horn relay on my 1972 Cutlass S is the junction block as well?
I've also moved your other question to this thread, since asking about a 1972 horn relay in a thread about a 1964 is not the best way to get a correct answer. Here's the horn relay. Note the large threaded post that serves as the junction block:

Old August 9th, 2015 | 02:45 PM

Horn Relay / Junction Block

Thanks Joe,
I do have the horn relay you show.
I see the location on the assembly manual. I believe I have the correct connections to the horn relay. Section 12 page 170 of the 1972 Cutlass assembly manual shows a wire from the A/C relay to the junction block. My A/C wiring harness has this wire cut and it was a heavy black/orange wire. It was still present at the AC relay but had been snipped just beyond the harness.
Old September 1st, 2015 | 11:44 AM

Purchased a Console a few years back
Came with wiring harness shown
I have a 1972 Cutlass S Auto
Converting from Column to Floor Shift
Need to purchase Extension between courtesy below dash to this harness
Unsure if this harness will work
Need assistance please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20150831_123622.jpg (2.06 MB, 50 views)
20150831_123648.jpg (2.13 MB, 43 views)
20150831_123705.jpg (2.33 MB, 39 views)
20150831_123717.jpg (2.06 MB, 41 views)
Old September 14th, 2015 | 07:13 PM

Console wiring

Found out that this harness fits a 1970 and will not work for my 1972.

Will have to get a harness and extension for my car.