1972 Cutlass Convertible Wiring?

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2014, 06:57 AM

1972 Cutlass Convertible Wiring?

I'm going to start debugging my non-working vert top on the 72 I just acquired. I pulled out the gauges to take a look at the vert switch and it's disconnected and there's no sign of the harness. It also looks like a replacement toggle switch was introduced and the wiring connected to it, but it does not do anything. 12V goes to it though.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram or pictures that would show the vert power, any switches/relays etc? Also any source for the missing vert harness?

And for that matter, any tips on the debugging? I know the motor is somewhere under the rear seat bottom (or top?), so I'll probably start there.

Thanks all - great forum for newbies like me!
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:02 AM

The motor is behind the upper part of the rear seat. You should be able to get to it through the trunk.
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dalilama
Does anyone have a wiring diagram or pictures that would show the vert power, any switches/relays etc? Also any source for the missing vert harness?

And for that matter, any tips on the debugging? I know the motor is somewhere under the rear seat bottom (or top?), so I'll probably start there.
All that info is in your Fisher Body Manual.
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by timothypaul
The motor is behind the upper part of the rear seat. You should be able to get to it through the trunk.
OK - thanks.
Old May 30th, 2014, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
All that info is in your Fisher Body Manual.
Yep - time I get one of those. I tried this link:

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...=9990378258371

and pulled up the info for 1970 - looks close so I'll use that for now.
Old June 4th, 2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by timothypaul
Well I took off the rear bench and back tonight ready to install the new vert top motor, but I'm confused where it goes as the old motor is missing. So here's the dumb question:

Picture #1 is a view from inside the car shooing the small space inside the upside-down V between the frame for the back seat and a frame in the trunk. I can see a mounting plate and the old hoses there.

Picture #2 is a view from inside the trunk where it's very easy to see a nice mounting area for the motor, but it seems a bit unprotected if it is mounted there as it faces inside the trunk.

Picture #3 is what's in the Fisher Body Manual but it doesn't say if this is from inside the trunk or inside the car. The only clue is the electrical connection appears to be in the left in the sketch, and it's on the left looking inside the trunk.

Would anyone be willing to take a pic of how their vert motor is mounted (looking from their trunk)?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1182.jpg (42.5 KB, 44 views)
IMG_1178.jpg (52.1 KB, 43 views)
motor_loc.jpg (39.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by dalilama; June 4th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:08 PM

The motor mounts into those three holes using rubber cone shaped grommets. The hoses will have to be screwed into the proper place on the motor or your top switch on the dash will work backwards.: up will be down:. The motor is available as well as the grommets online. The motor will be covered by the top bag that the top folds down into.
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
The motor mounts into those three holes using rubber cone shaped grommets. The hoses will have to be screwed into the proper place on the motor or your top switch on the dash will work backwards.: up will be down:. The motor is available as well as the grommets online. The motor will be covered by the top bag that the top folds down into.
OK - thanks. So the motor is mounted facing the trunk? Or is it sandwiched between the rear seat back and the trunk (on the other side of the holes in picture #2)?
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:17 PM

Toward the trunk. Maybe the power plug that hooks to the motor fell behind the seat. you need it accessible to bleed the air off the lines so the top will operate.
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:24 PM

Toward the trunk. Maybe the power plug that hooks to the motor fell behind the seat. you need it accessible to bleed the air off the lines so the top will operate.
Found the power plug - it seems to work. I have the motor and new lines so I'm going to get everything connected up tomorrow.

Thanks for the help -
Old June 4th, 2014, 08:24 PM

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113945 . Thanks to member STLBLUESBROTHER from another post on this site. This will help after you get the pump in.
Old June 5th, 2014, 12:12 PM

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113945 . Thanks to member STLBLUESBROTHER from another post on this site. This will help after you get the pump in.
Perfect Gary - his comments are just what I was confused about when I read the FBM. thanks -