1968 Delmont 88 Under Hood Light

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2012, 04:43 PM

1968 Delmont 88 Under Hood Light

Underhood light doesn't work.

The light bulb underneath the hood is connected to a wire that then connects to a plastic connector, another wire that is just hanging from the hood and not connected to any power source.

Looks like the wire broke and do not know where it is supposed to go to get power. Does anyone know where exactly the under hood light is wired?

Thanks,
Matt
Old September 27th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Oldsdruid

It's a brown wire that goes thru the firewall and back to the fuse block. Should be top passenger side of the fuse block IIRC.

60s Olds have another quirk, and I think 68 is still like this: the main light switch has to be on for underhood, glovebox and trunk lamps to work. The idea was if the car was parked for a while and one of these lamps was inadvertently left on, it wouldn't kill the battery.
Old September 27th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Thanks. Luckily I dont have the quirk. The trunk light works without the main light on.

Is there a hole in the firewall to run it to the fuse box? Anyone have a pic?

Dumb question but just connect the wore to the fuse box once through the firewall?

Thanks!
Old September 28th, 2012, 06:41 AM

Hi - Can't speak to the 68 Delmont, so take this for what its worth. On a 69 Cutlass the underhood light is a brown wire that runs through a firewall grommet near the brake booster. Once inside the car, the wire joins to a plastic connector with a brown wire that is sticking out of a larger wiring harness just above the fuse box under the dash. The assembly manual for the Cutlass clearly shows this connection in the dash wiring section. You may have luck if you have access to the Assembly manual for your vehicle. Happy hunting - gotta love those wiring issues.
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:05 AM

Thanks - will check it out.
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:42 PM
Randy C.

The underhood lamp on my '68 A-body works only when the hood is up - it has a mercury switch in it that moves the liquid mercury to the "on" position as the hood is raised.

The brown wire from my underhood lamp connects into a black wire that passes through the firewall. The connector at the other end of that black wire plugs into the "BAT" (battery) slot in the fuse box. There is also an opening in the back of the connector that goes into the "BAT" slot and I have an orange wire coming out of it, which makes sense. This line is always hot such that the cigarette lighter works when the car is off, as will the underhood light come on even if the car is off and the light switch is off.

Randy C.