Bolt size Starter mounting

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2017, 11:39 PM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Bolt size Starter mounting

Hi guys,

Can anybody tell me the size of the mounting screws fixing the Starter motor to the block at my 1969 delta (455 engine)?
I want to replace the Starter (as it turns the engine only very slow) and want to make sure having the needed Tools (wrench, sockets,...?) available when I Start working (car is located about 20mls away from my home).
I bought a remanufactured Starter from O'reilly which should be a direct replacement. Is there anything special to be considered doing this replacement?
My assumption is: if there are shims used with the old starter, the same shims have to be used again with the new one, respectively if there are currently no shims used, also with the new starter motor Mo shims are required (or can the starters rhat different - even direct replacement - that this must be measured/figured out with the new starter?
How can this be done when engine and tranny is installed in the car?
Thanks for your answers and Tips!

Michael

Last edited by snail; March 11th, 2017 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Adding information
Old March 12th, 2017, 03:40 AM

Bolt size is 3/8 16 3/8 inch diameter shaft 16 threads per inch. I think you want the size of the socket or wrench needed which would be 9/16 a 14mm is very close. Put back whatever shims you take out and try the starter. If it sounds good you are done. If you hear noise , the number of shims will need to be adjusted.
Old March 12th, 2017, 05:08 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Originally Posted by stellar
... I think you want the size of the socket or wrench needed which would be 9/16 a 14mm is very close. Put back whatever shims you take out and try the starter. If it sounds good you are done. If you hear noise , the number of shims will need to be adjusted.
Perfect - these are the answers I was looking for !
Thank you !
Old March 12th, 2017, 05:24 AM
Administrator

Use the factory style knurled bolts, they position the starter where it needs to be. Beware of bolts that come with an after market starter as they may be metric and will damage your block.

First try mounting the new starter without shims, there should be a 0.020” to 0.035” clearance measured from the valley of the starter pinion to the tip of the ring gear tooth. Most people use a standard size paperclip.

This is a great read on how to do it.
http://www.metroplexalternator.com/u...in_tbstr01.pdf
Old March 12th, 2017, 11:10 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Use the factory style knurled bolts, they position the starter where it needs to be. Beware of bolts that come with an after market starter as they may be metric and will damage your block.

First try mounting the new starter without shims, there should be a 0.020” to 0.035” clearance measured from the valley of the starter pinion to the tip of the ring gear tooth. Most people use a standard size paperclip.

This is a great read on how to do it.
http://www.metroplexalternator.com/u...in_tbstr01.pdf
Can this be measured when starter ist assembled/fixed to the block and engine and transmission is installed? Is there access to the pinion/teeth?
Old March 18th, 2017, 01:09 AM
69 Delta Custom Holiday

update: starter replacement

did it as proposed.
removed old starter that was installed without any shims, so installed new one (remanufactured OEM style from O´Reilly) also without any shim.
Result: starter works perfect - without any noise during cranking or after release key to on Position

Thanks again !
Old March 18th, 2017, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Glad all worked out for you.