How to affix vent window glass in frame?

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2017, 06:08 PM

How to affix vent window glass in frame?

The rear edge of my driver's side vent window jams against the chrome divider pillar whenever I try to close it. At first I thought the frame pivots were tweaked, but on closer investigation it turns out the glass is just loose in the frame, whatever adhesive held it in has dried up and let go, so the glass easily shifts backwards and attempts to pop out of the frame whenever it's opened.

What kind of adhesive would be the best bet to affix the glass back in the frame?
Old February 4th, 2017, 07:03 PM

The glass was pressed into the frame with a special glass setting tape that is reproed and comes in different thicknesses. You could also just use black rtv silicone to re-fasten the glass to the frame.
Old February 4th, 2017, 07:06 PM

Cool, I figured it was something like tar tape or the like, but I generally don't like messing around with that stuff. I do have a tube of black RTV that sets like glue and grabs really well so I guess I'll bust out the remaining chunks of the old stuff and use that. Thanks!
Old February 4th, 2017, 07:12 PM

Ya, remove the glass and all the old tape. WD 40 will soften it into mush. Clean everything good and insert glass into the silicone. Trim off oose when dry. It does a decent job.
Old February 4th, 2017, 07:25 PM

Good info on softening that old stuff up, thanks. It's definitely rock-hard after all these years. Will be nice to not have to roll down the main window and hold the vent glass to get it to shut.

Update, for closure: Got it. Couldn't find my black RTV but I did find some flowable windshield sealer that I needed to use up. Unfortunately it wasn't as thick-bodied but it still worked in conjunction with the original sealing tape (would have been way too loose in the frame without it). The tape itself, on inspection, was actually in one piece and far more pliable than I had thought, just not sticky. Poured the silicone into the channel after cleaning it up, then applied it generously on the edges of the glass and pressed the tape onto the glass. Let it set up a little and then smooshed it into the frame and cleaned up the excess. Now it clears the division post without assistance and doesn't want to budge from the frame.

Last edited by Supernaut72; February 22nd, 2017 at 03:47 AM.