How do I put the hood on my '50?

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2016, 04:31 PM
50 Olds FAN

How do I put the hood on my '50?

I would like to put the hood on my '50 88 Club Coupe as it would look a lot nicer with the hood on until I paint it [next summer?].
There are three pieces: hood, support member (in the rear), and hinges. Has anyone done this successfully before AND would like to share?
I imagine myself attaching the hinges to the support member, the support member to the hood, and finally the hinges to the car, in that order. The reason I ask is that I have never NOT attached the hinges to the car as a first step (and bolt the hood to the hinges at that point) but this car design makes that almost impossible with the bolt attachment points on the support member. Help?
Also, Fusick sells the correct bolts to attach the support member to the hinges but, with shipping, the four bolts total almost $20! I can afford that price but it seems like a scalping for four bolts. Has anyone done this another/cheaper way?
Old November 13th, 2016, 07:18 PM

If the hinges were in place I would tie the front of the hood to an overhead anchor point on a pulley and then lift the back of the hood up and over the front end and over the hinges and let it down onto the hinges adjusting the front end with the pulley system to get the angle right, preferably with two people but I have done it by myself. If you have a lot of friends, one of them could be in charge of the pulley department and another could wrangle up some refreshments. I have an I beam and roller assembly above the car for engine re and re.

Last edited by Yellowstatue; November 13th, 2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added descriptive picture in words for clarity.
Old November 13th, 2016, 07:25 PM
50 Olds FAN

Someone else I talked to today discussed the pulley system with me. Must be in the air :-) I guess my question should have been more pointed in the direction of the logistics of connecting the parts and in what order. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old November 14th, 2016, 06:14 AM
72 Olds CS

Re bolts:

Your local hardware or farm store likely has a fastener section you could get four appropriate bolts there for probably less than 4 bucks. If originality is important then it's either $20 or wait till you have more stuff to order to defray shipping, IDK but I would guess they have a minimum shipping cost and that minimum is probably half or more of the $20.
Old January 28th, 2017, 07:11 AM

Looking for bolts,cap screws or nuts, etc? Check out McMaster-Carr.