New member - My intro

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2009, 11:04 AM

New member - My intro

Hi everyone,

I first found this site a while ago, but lost track of it, and finally found it again. At first I thought "ClassicOldsmobile" was more for classic Oldsmobiles, but once I read the posts, I realised it is for all.

I am from Canada, and I own a 1983 Delta 88 Royale 4-door sedan. It is a Canadian car, so there is no computer (or at least I can't find it ). It has the original 307 (VIN Y), and a 200-4R transmission. It is mostly stock. The changes made include a AM/FM/CD radio, added 2 rear speakers, blue LEDs installed in the dash, Cutlass 15" SSIII Rallye wheels, sealed-beam conversion kit for the low beam headlights and dual-exhaust. The car was repainted last summer (2008) the original colours, including the multi-line pin stripping being painted on. The last major change to the car will be the installation of a 330, eventually.

My plan is to keep the car looking stock from the outside, and mostly stock inside. And no one will know there is something bigger than the 307 under the hood.

I am also the founder and president of the Ottawa Oldsmobile Club, in Ottawa, Ontario.

One question, can new members post photos right away, or do I have to wait until I graduate to normal member status?

Ok, I think that is all for now, and I probably don't have anything to say for my 4 other required posts. I will post a pic of my car once I have permission.

Oh, and for anyone who was at the 2008 OCA Nationals, that was my two-tone blue '83 Delta 88 Royale (minus the scripts, since the bodywork was not/is not complete) in Dearborn.
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Welcome

Welcome to our site. I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

To prevent a terrible spam problem we had to ask newbies to only post in one place 5 times for 2 days. In this manner we can go to one spot and weed out the spam.

I hope it's not too much trouble, It really makes for a cleaner site.

So Ramble away for a few days and you be in like Flynn or Flint [another thread discussiong in days past.]

Glad to have you aboard.

Be sure to check out the Land Yacht threads you may qualify as a member
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Past Administrator

Welcome to our site.
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Welcome!
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Welcome to the site. Does not take long to log in 5 posts. ask questions about your proposed ideas for your Olds, alwasy starts conversation.
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:43 PM

Welcome to classic Olds!
I like those big cars - they do not make 'em like that and none that I know of with the plush velour interior...
Sounds like you are off to a good start on your car; good plan on replacing the weak 307... I knew Canada models had different emission requirements, but did not think they did away with the computer entirely on the 307...
Do you plan on using the original tranny? If so, make sure it has been rebuilt and the pump upgraded to a 10 vane.
I look forward to the pics soon!
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome.

I can understand the new member rules, spam is really annoying.

I do plan on using a 200-4R transmission with the 330, and I have one, rebuilt with a shift kit, sitting under the 330, on an engine stand.

Related to the lack of computer, I needed to get a lockup kit for the torque converter, since the rebuilt transmission was "American" style, and gets the lockup signal from the computer. In Canada, the lockup system is internal to the transmission. I do not know much info about the rebuild of the transmission though.
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Registered

Welcome.
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:32 AM

I can't believe I forgot to mention this. This car was originally bought by my Grandfather. He had always been a Chev guy, but as he approached retirement, he decided he wanted a more luxurious car, so he wanted an Oldsmobile. When he was giving up driving, he was looking to get rid of the car. I was visiting one day with my Father, and he suggested keeping the car in the family to my Grandfather. So at 14, I become the proud owner of the Oldsmobile.
Old February 9th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by car_designer
When he was giving up driving, he was looking to get rid of the car. I was visiting one day with my Father, and he suggested keeping the car in the family to my Grandfather. So at 14, I become the proud owner of the Oldsmobile.
Nice way to keep it in the family and to benefit you! I wish I had a nice car when i was 14... All I had then was a souped up go-kart...

Were you able to get some pictures posted?
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:07 AM

Yes I did manage to post some pictures, but I started a new thread with them.

I don't know how to post links, but in "The Newbie Forum" look for the thread called "Pictures of a Canadian Delta 88".
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:17 AM

Welcome to the forum! To add a link just highlight the link, right click hit copy, go to where you want to add the link right click hit paste.